Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Exercise moves (kind of) like Jagger

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

Plié, Pirouette, Grand jeté, first position, second position...oh yes, we are talking ballet today, because, well, it is Ballet Day! Now, I haven't put on a tutu in three decades, but I love going to the ballet and watching the dancers move with such grace and beauty. Why shouldn't we e inspired today by the unofficial holiday and do some exercise moves ala ballet dancers? I gathered a few from Shape magazine and Livestrong. 

Stretch it out

Stretching helps keep you limber - and create long and lean lines. Lie on your back and bring your leg up and back toward your head while holding onto your ankle, trying to keep get your leg straight. Hold for a few seconds - don't bounce it, just pull it gently to go further. Then switch legs. 

Plié 

Doing a basic plié works that tush and those thighs and that core tummy area. Stand with feet a bit a part, feet facing out. Breath in, bend your knees so they go over your feet slowly and then rise back up into the starting position. You can hold onto a chair back if you need to -- and be sure to tuck in your tush and tighten the tummy as you do it. 

Arabesque kickback

This will work those leg muscles. Get on the floor, on hands and knees, and bring a knee into your chest and then kick it back straight, as if doing an arabesque, tightening your core and fully extending your leg back and up. Do 30 on each side.

Have you ever taken ballet? What about your kids? Share your favorite moves (ballet or otherwise)!

©iStockphoto.com/ tinafelds

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I took a mixed dance class for a few weeks. Was not for me. Lol
my oldest wants to try ballet..we shall see after softball.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I took ballet for a couple of years in elementary school... I was not so graceful! But I have always loved ballet, whether live or on TV. One year for my Christmas present my mom took me to The Nutcracker. I was so happy! This year my son and I watched some of it on TV...
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM

i have not...but i dont think id be very good at it lol

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I'm not graceful enough for ballet lol. My kids are 3 and 5, they haven't said anything about wanting to take ballet.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Never! Don't get me started! Lol. I wanted to be a ballet dancer when I was 8.
mamivon2
by Sandra on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

lol. Growing up in Switzerland there was this geman tv movie called ANNA on.. was about a young maybe 17 years old girl who had car accident and was confined to a wheel chair.. Ballet was her passion and she eventually started dancing again.. I think every girl took ballet lessons including me.. although mine lasted one lesson and I thought it was stupid

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM

My granddaughter took ballet for a few years. Her favorite part was wearing makeup for recitals, lol.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I took ballet as a child and loved it

Juniper53098
by June on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I've never done ballet.  DD might like it...

koolkidsmom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I took ballet when I was  about 9.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN