Try this spinach salad as a side dish: Combine 1½ tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1½ teaspoons honey, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper; whisk. Toss with 5 cups fresh spinach. Top with 1 cored and thinly sliced Braeburn apple.
- 3 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 2 bacon slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1. Bring 3 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add pasta; cook for 8 minutes. Drain in a colander over a bowl, and reserve 1/3 cup cooking liquid.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add butter to drippings in pan; cook 30 seconds or until butter melts. Increase heat to medium-high. Add squash; sauté 7 minutes or until almost tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pasta, reserved cooking liquid, and cheese; cook 2 minutes or until pasta is al dente, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with bacon and onions.