Don't let what's already in your refrigerator go to waste...

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 34 Replies

We've all been there. It's Thursday night. You're racking your brain for dinner ideas. You open the refrigerator, and everything looks bland and boring. You think, "A decent meal could never materialize from this stuff!" As tempting as it is to pick up the phone and order takeout, there's a cheaper option. Sites like bigoven.com, allrecipes.com, supercook.com, and recipematcher.com allow you to enter the list of ingredients staring at you from under the fridge bulb and, voila, out pops a recipe for a meal from food that would most likely get pitched. Assuming $8 worth of food is tossed weekly, this trick saves $400 in a year.

Source: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/08/06/food-prices-rise-drought-money-saving-tips/

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Great find! :) thanks...

BigMamaMN
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Bump

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Thanks

PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by Sandra on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM

TFS..

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM

thanks for the tips!

slw123
by Shawna on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Nice, thanks for sharing.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Or you can meal plan... then you know what you have for what already, and don't just buy random things at the grocery store.

The day I never want to cook is the day I go grocery shopping and my house is packed to the gills in food. Then I'm all "I don't wanna cook!!" I'm weird.

deedee3849
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Just did this this past week. I made a soup out of a bunch of stuff in the fridge...kale, cauliflower, chicken, celery & seasonings...sounds odd but it was really good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: