Group Home

Food prices expected to rise 5%

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM
  • 47 Replies

This past year,  the sun has been putting in a lot of overtime -- which has U.S. crops and farmers suffering horribly as a nationwide drought persists.

Many crops have been burned, including grains such as corn and wheat -- grains that are precursors to many foods such as sodas, cereals, baked goods, dairy products, chicken and beef.

Experts predict rising commodity prices will result in up to a 5% increase in food prices in 2013 -- and perhaps even into early 2014 -- leading to higher grocery bills and restaurant tabs for consumers.

What This Means to a Family of Four

The Department of Agriculture Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion estimates a moderate weekly grocery bill for a family of four with school-age children at roughly $236.60, which translates into an annual family budget of approximately $12,300 for food consumed at home.
Assuming the anticipated 5% increase in food prices next year, a family of four is looking at an additional $615 on their annual grocery bill in 2013.

For dining away from home, if we assume the average American family of four's typical weekly restaurant bill is $100, or $5,200 per year. That 5% increase will add $260 to a family's restaurant spending next year.

All told, the unrelenting national drought could add up to an extra $875 on food spending for an average family of four.

What are you doing to help keep your grocery bill down?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Skybabe
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM
2 moms liked this

For a family of 4 we spend about $100 a week on food thankyouverymuch. And  $100 a WEEK on eating out? That's $400 a month just for meals ate at restaurants. What middle class family can spare that much a month?! 

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM

stop eating :/

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM

none! LOL

Quoting Skybabe:

For a family of 4 we spend about $100 a week on food thankyouverymuch. And  $100 a WEEK on eating out? That's $400 a month just for meals ate at restaurants. What middle class family can spare that much a month?! 

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I will like to let the government that since food is going up and my husbands salary is not I will have to tell my family to eat only twice a day hows that? 

On a serious note.. I was trying to make my family healthier meals but everything is so expensive, anyway I guess we are going to have to portion control, stop eating out (at all!) and keep using coupons and shoping sales :/

mamivon2
by Sandra on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM

is that the reason why we get 10 dollar more in foodstamps??

Skybabe
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Do you have a smart phone or cable you can cut out? We don't have cable, only netflix and there is plenty to watch on there! 

Quoting yvonne37:

I will like to let the government that since food is going up and my husbands salary is not I will have to tell my family to eat only twice a day hows that? 

On a serious note.. I was trying to make my family healthier meals but everything is so expensive, anyway I guess we are going to have to portion control, stop eating out (at all!) and keep using coupons and shoping sales :/

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

oh man! we will just try to salvage where we can

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM

i'm surprised they say a family of 4 spends $236 a week.....what!? we probably dont even spend that much in a month

slw123
by Shawna on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I buy what's on sale.

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM

food is expensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie