Group Home
Anyone have a really good recipe for speghetti?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Replies (31-32):
mereinhart28
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I make my own sauce every summer and then can it. basically I just use our tomatoes and add whatever to the pot until it tastes like I want it. simmer all day to thicken.

mewebb82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I make a simple sauce that I can use as is or make changes to easily. It is a basic recipe that my family has always used. I make from scratch usually during the summer when my garden is producing tomatoes, but you can use canned and get close to the same taste. This is the recipe with cans so it's simple:

Saute 2 cloves diced garlic in olive oil until fragrant

Add a pinch of red pepper flakes (you can add more if you like it spicier, but I make it mild for my kids) 

Add 14.5 oz. can of tomato sauce and 29 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes (if you like a less chunky sauce, then you can reverse the sizes of the cans so you use more sauce and less diced tomatoes)

Add basil, oregano, and salt (I usually eyeball it, but it's about 1/2 Tbsp. each dried or 2 Tbsp. fresh)

Add about 1 Tbsp. sugar and 2 Tbsp. tomato paste (I like the tubes so I don't have leftovers from a can; the tomato paste adds a flavor to make the sauce taste like it cooked all day so I don't use it when cooking from scratch)

Simmer for 1-3 hours 

You can brown some ground beef or sausage and add it to the sauce after the first 30 minutes of simmering or make some meatballs to serve with it. Stir in a little cream at the end to make a creamy tomato sauce.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.