Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need a bit of advise...

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 24 Replies

Ok, so my husband and I are separated right now. I need to get a new copy of my youngest son's ss card, but they told me that they needed to have both parents sign to issue a new ss card- here's my problem, my husband is not in the US, and cannot come back- he was deported in 2009. :(  How can I get the new ss card for my son then?

Also, I need to get his passport as well, he has never had one, and I need one for him before July... and yet again, my husband cannot even mail me a notarized letter giving permisison for me to obtain our son's passport without him present... 

Any suggestions or advise? TIA...

Kira Sandoval
Mom to: Daniel- b. 10/14/97
Marie- b. 3/9/00 and Gabriel- b. 9/15/08
family in the van

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I have never had to have both parents there to sign I would try talking to someone else, on the PP I have no idea

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I have no idea..sorry!

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I have never before heard of having to have both parents sign for a new one.  As for the passport I don't see why you would need both parents for that either.  You have physical custody, seems there would be some way that you could prove he was deported if the whole both parent thing is true.

Threes.Company
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

No idea.  Sounds like it has to be incorrect that he needs to be present...  I mean, if he was deported and cannot come back, surely they can issue it without him.

krise
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Quoting Godspitgrl:

I have never had to have both parents there to sign I would try talking to someone else, on the PP I have no idea

THIS! how strange.

bmw29
by Bobbie on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I have never had to have both parents to sign, I think this is odd.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

definately call & talk to a supervisor or such.  i had to make a trip to the tag office three times last year, for no reason!!  the first two times i was given incorrect information about what i needed to change a title over & when i went in the third time i had a supervisor wait on me & i mentioned how i hoped i didn't have to come back a 4th time.  she asked why i had to come so much & when i told her she said i shouldn't have had to do that because all my information was in the computer correctly already.

if you talk to a supervisor & explain your situation you may get different answers.

not to be nosey, but why couldn't your husband send a letter if you needed it?  just curious.

kjdama
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

See, I thougt it was odd as well... but here's another thing- I was looking on the passport page for requirments and it states that the children under 16 AND BOTH PARENTS HAVE to be present and need to submit the app IN PERSON... :( I'm not finding any other info yet...

As for the SS card thing, I am also now living in a different state, so does that make a difference?

kjdama
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

he's plain lazy for one, but also where he is living it's really expensive for notarizing letters, AND he claims he doesn't have time or the money to get that done- and he would just spend the money on something else if I tried to send him some for that. >_<

Quoting lizzig:

definately call & talk to a supervisor or such.  i had to make a trip to the tag office three times last year, for no reason!!  the first two times i was given incorrect information about what i needed to change a title over & when i went in the third time i had a supervisor wait on me & i mentioned how i hoped i didn't have to come back a 4th time.  she asked why i had to come so much & when i told her she said i shouldn't have had to do that because all my information was in the computer correctly already.

if you talk to a supervisor & explain your situation you may get different answers.

not to be nosey, but why couldn't your husband send a letter if you needed it?  just curious.

Kira Sandoval
Mom to: Daniel- b. 10/14/97
Marie- b. 3/9/00 and Gabriel- b. 9/15/08
family in the van

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

aww gotcha mama!  sorry!  hope you get things straightened out soon.

Quoting kjdama:

he's plain lazy for one, but also where he is living it's really expensive for notarizing letters, AND he claims he doesn't have time or the money to get that done- and he would just spend the money on something else if I tried to send him some for that. >_<

Quoting lizzig:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)