Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: Two ways to decide anything

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

Question of the day: how well do you decide things? Do you waffle? Does it take you a long time to make a final yea or nay on some decision? Or are you quick to a choice? Me, I'm tragically indecisive. Really. Not on huge things or important things, but more the everyday mini ones. What should I wear today? Which onesie should I get as a baby gift? You get the idea.

It's been bothering me a bit, so I decided to try some tricks to make my decision-making process go a bit more smoothly. I mean I could carry around a Magic 8 Ball, but that could get a tad heavy in my tote. So, first, I'm going to try asking myself, "Will this matter five years from now? How about 5 weeks? 5 days?" This tried-and-true method defuses the "getting the choice right" mentality and keeps the ol' perspective in check.

Second, I'm channeling a guru, a kind of guide. When I'm stuck, I'm turning to this decision-compass and considering what he or she would do -- like "What would Yoda do?" or "What would Hermione Granger do?" or ‘What would my five-year-old kiddo do?"

Of course, I haven't decided on who to use as my guru...hmmmm...

What person or character would you insert in "What would _____ do?" to help you make good decisions?

©iStockphoto.com/ AnsonLu

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:34 AM

What would Hermione do?

I am currently knitting a shawl inspired by her so this just fits. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:36 AM
I like the idea of asking myself if this will be important in 5 weeks, 5 years, etc. That could be really helpful to me, as I do have a hard time making decisions. Thank you!

Not so much a fan of, "What would x person do?" I try not to base my decisions too much on other people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wandep
I luv Disney :)
Yesterday at 1:30 PM
by Pam on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually just ask myself. :)

mereinhart28
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I tend to make decisions too quickly.

momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
by Colleen on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM

My Mom.She always had a way of making the right decision

SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

..Nobody..

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Interesting

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

The Doctor :P (as in Doctor Who)

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM

ha ha ha just kidding...im pretty good at making decisions...now if they are always good or right is another thing...but im good at making up my own mind

fraujones
by Amanda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I have a hard time making decisions. I like Hermoine Granger. Maybe, "What would Anne of Green Gables do? (Though she gets in a lot of trouble.) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)