Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Try New Things

Posted by   + Show Post

Wintertime, in particular, is a time it's easy to get stuck in a rut. There just isn't a lot to look forward to like there is during the holidays or during the summer. But there are ways to break yourself out of that rut, and one of those ways is to try new things.

There's been a lot of research done on the benefits of novel experiences. It doesn't need to be something really adventurous or expensive, either; just something out of your usual routine. Trying new things keeps your brain active, which can stave off Alzheimer's disease, improve your memory, and quite frankly it keeps life fun. It can be as simple as taking a different way to work, or cooking something you've never tried before. If you get a chance, take a class, or teach yourself a skill you've always wanted to try.

My current "new thing" is that my husband and I have started taking a Zumba class. I am really, really bad at it, but it's fun and great exercise. It's free with our gym membership, and a lot of fun.

What new things do you like to try?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
justahousewife
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Last year I got the family a Wii so we could have fun and stay active in the winter. We put it away when the farm picked up again and pulled back out in November. We use the fit plus and sport. It's a great way to keep moving.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

My husband and I went two days ago to a new supermarket. Its a cash and carry Indian supermarket and we where amazed to see the prices and the goods.  We love Indian cuisine and I am learning a couple of new dishes, they eat spicy and we love it :)

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM

this is what we liked about the wii, compared to other games and the kids and I play it all the time. I got to say.. some games make me sweat! lol

Quoting justahousewife:

Last year I got the family a Wii so we could have fun and stay active in the winter. We put it away when the farm picked up again and pulled back out in November. We use the fit plus and sport. It's a great way to keep moving.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM

i'd love to try out a belly dancing class & pilates (i do yoga but haven't moved onto pilates yet),

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I pretty much like to try anything once. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM

DH and I have started working jigsaw puzzles.

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I will try any fruit or vegetable that I've never had before

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM
New foods
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM

i'd love to go some kind of gym or dance class but dont have the money or time dh would never watch the kids and i would not leave them in the gym with someone if it was offered

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I like trying new foods and I like read about anything especially science and history. I have also found a website called Lumosity.com to help keep my brain going and keep my brain function going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)