Group Home

Smarter Style: Style Blogs We Love

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

I've never been a style blog kind of a person. Many of them focus on clothes that are just plain unrealistic for a middle class mom, either in terms of expense or general inappropriateness, such as suggesting that a dry-clean-only dress or a sky-high pair of wedge heels are at all feasible for life with little kids. Puh-leeze.

However, I really do want to try to work my look a little better, without spending a bunch of money or time shopping. And I need inspiration to do that. I found a couple of style blogs that are realistic in terms of budget and lifestyle but still have a strong sense of style.

Megan of Everyday Mom Style does a really cool thing: She takes a typical "frumpy" outfit and shows how to make it better. For example, she shows how to put things from your closet together in such a way that you look stylish and pulled-together, without a ton more effort and expense than throwing on yoga pants and a fleece.

I wish I'd had Momma Go Round when I was pregnant. Nina is short (like me), plus size, and currently pregnant and manages to make herself look lovely every day. Plus-size style blogs are hard enough to find; throw in pregnancy and you can hardly even find decent clothes, much less advice on how to wear them.

Finally, I like Whoorl mostly for the famed Hair Thursday, where she talks you through different hair looks...this is how I learned to style my cowlicky bangs.  Her clothing taste is a little upscale for me, but she's realistic about what moms need from their wardrobe and is great about day-to-date-night transitions for example.

What style blogs do you like?

Image via Everyday Mom Style.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I don't read style blogs because (like you), I've always thought they were geared towards though with a lot more disposable income.

I'll definitely check out the Everyday Mom Style, though, it sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the recommendation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I don't read them.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I dont really ever read them

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I have not read a lot of style blogs...I mostly do recipes/cooking...I may have to try it...

slw123
by Shawna on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I have never really read style blogs.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Never read any.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I don't read them..Now craft/crochet blogs..That I do..

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I like unique style whether its wearable or dress up, idk I just don't really enjoy pedestrian fashion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I love Scott Schuman the sartorialist and garance dore blog Paris street fashion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don't read any

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.