Smarter Style: Style Blogs We Love

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

I've never been a style blog kind of a person. Many of them focus on clothes that are just plain unrealistic for a middle class mom, either in terms of expense or general inappropriateness, such as suggesting that a dry-clean-only dress or a sky-high pair of wedge heels are at all feasible for life with little kids. Puh-leeze.

However, I really do want to try to work my look a little better, without spending a bunch of money or time shopping. And I need inspiration to do that. I found a couple of style blogs that are realistic in terms of budget and lifestyle but still have a strong sense of style.

Megan of Everyday Mom Style does a really cool thing: She takes a typical "frumpy" outfit and shows how to make it better. For example, she shows how to put things from your closet together in such a way that you look stylish and pulled-together, without a ton more effort and expense than throwing on yoga pants and a fleece.

I wish I'd had Momma Go Round when I was pregnant. Nina is short (like me), plus size, and currently pregnant and manages to make herself look lovely every day. Plus-size style blogs are hard enough to find; throw in pregnancy and you can hardly even find decent clothes, much less advice on how to wear them.

Finally, I like Whoorl mostly for the famed Hair Thursday, where she talks you through different hair looks...this is how I learned to style my cowlicky bangs.  Her clothing taste is a little upscale for me, but she's realistic about what moms need from their wardrobe and is great about day-to-date-night transitions for example.

What style blogs do you like?

Image via Everyday Mom Style.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I don't read style blogs because (like you), I've always thought they were geared towards though with a lot more disposable income.

I'll definitely check out the Everyday Mom Style, though, it sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the recommendation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I don't read them.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I dont really ever read them

delanna6two
HAPPY EASTER!!!
Monday at 3:19 PM
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I have not read a lot of style blogs...I mostly do recipes/cooking...I may have to try it...

slw123
by Shawna on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I have never really read style blogs.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Never read any.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I don't read them..Now craft/crochet blogs..That I do..

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I like unique style whether its wearable or dress up, idk I just don't really enjoy pedestrian fashion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I love Scott Schuman the sartorialist and garance dore blog Paris street fashion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don't read any

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: