Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers and cell phones..

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 13 Replies

I picked up my son from school early yesterday. Walked into his 3rd grade class and his teacher was smiling looking at her phone while texting... I'm sure I'm wrong for it, but I was really upset seeing that... You have 25 plus kids in your class you need to be focused on them and get your phone on lunch breaks... I just never thought about it until I saw this.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

wow, I've never seen that

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I agree with you, thats not what they are there for. I don't feel it sets a good example either

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Maaaaybe, if they were working independently and under control, and then only for a second. But for the most part, NO WAY!

krise
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting heydooney:

Maaaaybe, if they were working independently and under control, and then only for a second. But for the most part, NO WAY!

I know they just got back from computer lab, so they just walked into the classroom.. So yes it was a bit crazy. I could somewhat see that being ok too if it was calm, but it wasn't.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting krise:

Quoting heydooney:

I know they just got back from computer lab, so they just walked into the classroom.. So yes it was a bit crazy. I could somewhat see that being ok too if it was calm, but it wasn't.

Yeah, NO! Transitions are important at that age, if my son was in that class he would go nuts. He needs a firm seamless transition and clear directions. Come in, sit down, get out XYZ and eyes up front. That wouldn't fly and he'd end up swinging from the blinds or something.

Sagely
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I don't teach 3rd grade, I teach high school, but there has been a time or two that I've used my phone in class.  Generally, it's something that needs to be handled immediately.  I'm not having "so, how's your day" conversations or anything.

Sometimes though, I need my phone for work-related purposes.  Like when I take the kids out on the track and something happens, I need to call the administration or campus police.  And sometimes they're texting me to get a kid from class or to send a discrete message out.

But there are those teachers who take it too far.  Who spend the whole damn class on their phones, maybe even sharing the funny on Facebook with students.  That stuff is stupid.  But a quick text...not a big deal.

MichelleMc
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Kind of hard to say, You can't use yours but I can use mine...They are showing young kids, well I am using mine so just use yours.

When did phones get taken our of the classroom or PA systems? Is it really that teachers have to use their cell phones to get information from the school now?

My sons school is so lax on it now. He is a senior and it is basically a joke. BUT, as long as they are doing their work & they are pulling in the grades, it isn't an issue. I guess they are tired of trying to fight the never going to win fight with the teens? LOL. He never misses school & is getting straight A's, he knows better than to abuse it, and really I gave up fighting it when everyone was allowed. Why say no you can't when everyone was allowed & there was no one upholding it LOL

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM

that would be a big no no for me and i would approach the principal honestly

slw123
by Shawna on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM

She shouldn't be on her phone during instruction time, but for many reasons I'm glad that teachers have cell phones.  First and foremost so they can call 911 if there is an emergency.  I correspond with my daughters teacher by text.  I'll admit though, when she texts me, I glance at the clock and know that the class is either at special area or lunch. If it was a quick moment, let it go.  But if you find out she's on the phone a lot, that's different.  There are so many scenarios to why the teacher was looking at her phone that would be acceptable enough......could be it was her babysitter and she smiled because she was sent a picture of her baby doing a 'first'.

LeetjieJ
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I expect my students not to be on their phones in class, therefore, I cannot be on the phone during class - simple. Emergencies happen & can be accomodated, but I'm guessing then that you're not sitting with a smile on your face!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)