Do we cause our own health issues?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 44 Replies

I know that a lot of things that we eat are not good for us and that a lot of Americans are over weight. But does all of that cause the health issues? The pharma companies make meds to treat it, isn't that enough? I have heard statistics that in the middle east, Asia, and other places there are people that never get cancer, diabetes, and such just by eating healthier, exercising more, and such. I am watching some documenteries that all say so. Fork Over Knives and Food Matters

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I have some unhealthy habits.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I do too I am just wondering will just changing what we eat and our activitly leave actually change everything in our health?

Quoting delanna6two:

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I don't know about everything...but I think it would help.

Quoting Godspitgrl:

I do too I am just wondering will just changing what we eat and our activitly leave actually change everything in our health?

Quoting delanna6two:

Amberleigh81
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Yes. I am in nursing school, and it's amazing the amount of drugs there are JUST to treat side effects of other drugs to treat conditions that are self-induced ... diabetes mellitus type II being the big one...

I know there are SOME incidences of diabetes occurring without self-induced comorbidities, but my goodness! If my professors tell me ONE MORE TIME how someone can't afford a healthy diet but CAN afford hundreds of dollars (after copays!) in meds as an excuse as to why nurses can't educate patients on nutrition, I'm going to scream!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I think that is true to an exstent, not all health issues are caused by what we do, but a lot are.

liveforever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I believe it does. Crohns disease is also something thats not very common in other areas of the world..its mostly the US. 

I switched to a healthy lifestyle Jan 1. I pretty much only drink water and about 90% of what I eat is fresh or whole foods. About the only thing Ive eaten processed recently were some crackers. I also started exercising for at least 30 min a day.

After 2 weeks I felt so much better. Im not tired all the time, I dont randomly feel nauseous for no reason, I got rid of that blah feeling and my skin has cleared up. I have Crohns disease and its in remission, but Id still get symptoms every now and then. I havent had any problems since I switched my diet.

I think a lot of the additives in our food and that so much of what people eat comes from a box with a 2 year shelf life really does add to a lot of health issues.

LoveMyKBabies
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I'm a smoker. So with that in consideration, if I developed lung cancer it would most likely be because I smoke. Other cancers & heart problems run in my family, so it's possible that I could get them...my smoking definitely doesn't help my chances though. If I were to quit smoking, eat healthier, stay in shape & have regular check ups, I would probably be better off :/ So yes, my lifestyle choices could hurt me in the long run...or I could die of something genetic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Yes...I fully believe we have caused almost all of our own health problems.

Think about it...we (*general we*) eat food that has been genetically altered (if bugs don't want to eat it, why the hell would we?!), we eat food so processed that it's barely a molecule away from being plastic, we slather ourselves in chemically based lotions and creams when our skin is the biggest conductor, we pop pills for every little thing instead of allowing our bodies to heal like it was made to, we drink water that has been fluoridated (it's not good for you), we drink sugary drinks pumped full of crap and diet pop that is filled with chemical artificial sweetners (they have found that many people suffering from fibromyalgia are actually just experiencing aspartame poisoning)...when you look at all of the junk and poisons we ingest or put on ourselves daily, it's not hard to see why there are so many health issues. Cleaners are just as horrible...people have gone anti-bacterial crazy which means both the good and the bad are being killed off.

Eta: re-reading this, I realize I sound a bit like a fruitloop, but I'm cool with it, lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM
OP, also check out the films, "King Corn", "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and "Food, Inc".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

seriously they tell you not to educate them on a healthy diet?

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Yes. I am in nursing school, and it's amazing the amount of drugs there are JUST to treat side effects of other drugs to treat conditions that are self-induced ... diabetes mellitus type II being the big one...

I know there are SOME incidences of diabetes occurring without self-induced comorbidities, but my goodness! If my professors tell me ONE MORE TIME how someone can't afford a healthy diet but CAN afford hundreds of dollars (after copays!) in meds as an excuse as to why nurses can't educate patients on nutrition, I'm going to scream!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: