Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mardi Gras

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 55 Replies

Any of you ladies celebrating Mardi Gras this year?

Today is Fat Tuesday!!

Follow Me on Pinterest  
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jazzgirl205
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Kinda.  It's not like back home, though.  We actually found a Mardi Gras Gala up here.  It was black tie and we really enjoyed ourselves.  So I guess we did. 

SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM

cool!

are you originally from New Orleans? 

Quoting jazzgirl205:

Kinda.  It's not like back home, though.  We actually found a Mardi Gras Gala up here.  It was black tie and we really enjoyed ourselves.  So I guess we did. 

Threes.Company
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I don't really do the Mardi Gras thing.  We do celebrate Lent, though.  Ash Wednesday is tomorrow.

SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:55 PM

i never fully understood lent. only that you have to give something up for a certain amount of time?

Quoting Threes.Company:

I don't really do the Mardi Gras thing.  We do celebrate Lent, though.  Ash Wednesday is tomorrow.

Threes.Company
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Lent is the liturgical season that leads up to Easter.  It is 40 days long, to mimick the forty days Jesus fasted and prayed in the desert.  Because he fasted, we fast, too... on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.  And we also give something up (an item or a behavior) and abstain from that item/behavior for the duration of Lent.  Lent is celebrated for Catholics via fasting, prayer and almsgiving (sharing your time, talents or money with others). 

Quoting SassyWildflower:

i never fully understood lent. only that you have to give something up for a certain amount of time?

Quoting Threes.Company:

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

jazzgirl205
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I am originally from Mobile Alabama - the original Mardi Gras in North America.  There is another thread 2/12 Today is Fat Tuesday in which I explained my Mardi Gras experiences.  I'm sure there is a way to drag my reply over to this thread but I do not know how.  Please read it though.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

cool!

Quoting jazzgirl205:

SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM

thank you for explaining.

is it only catholics that participate in lent?

Quoting Threes.Company:

Lent is the liturgical season that leads up to Easter.  It is 40 days long, to mimick the forty days Jesus fasted and prayed in the desert.  Because he fasted, we fast, too... on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.  And we also give something up (an item or a behavior) and abstain from that item/behavior for the duration of Lent.  Lent is celebrated for Catholics via fasting, prayer and almsgiving (sharing your time, talents or money with others). 

Quoting SassyWildflower:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Threes.Company
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM

No, it is a Christian thing.  Though, the different variations of Christians have different rules and guidelines for how they do it. 

Quoting SassyWildflower:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting SassyWildflower:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

we're Christian but have never participated. I never knew much about it actually.

Quoting Threes.Company:

No, it is a Christian thing.  Though, the different variations of Christians have different rules and guidelines for how they do it. 

Quoting SassyWildflower:

Quoting Threes.Company:

Quoting SassyWildflower:

Quoting Threes.Company:

SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

will do! i must have missed that post! 

Thanks!

Quoting jazzgirl205:

I am originally from Mobile Alabama - the original Mardi Gras in North America.  There is another thread 2/12 Today is Fat Tuesday in which I explained my Mardi Gras experiences.  I'm sure there is a way to drag my reply over to this thread but I do not know how.  Please read it though.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

cool!

Quoting jazzgirl205:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN