Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Style Inspiration From TV

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 59 Replies

Style inspiration can come from anywhere: magazines, blog, people on the street, co-workers, friends. One major way I get inspired, though, is from the TV shows I watch.

It's interesting to see how the trends on the stores are influenced by TV, too. For example, the first season after "Mad Men" made its debut, 1950's-ish fit and flare dresses were everywhere that spring (and hooray for those of us with a more 1950s-style body!). I'm old enough that my first big style influence from media was "Friends." Yes, I admit to rocking the Rachel and still would to this day if I could.

Of course, my favorite shows right now are Parks and Rec, Top Chef and New Girl, so I'm out of luck style-wise. Amy Poehler is gorgeous and made of awesome, but her character Leslie Knope is kind of fashion-challenged (and I could never make use of that many pantsuits). Top Chef is, well, everyone wears chef jackets except for Padma Lakshmi, the host, who is a tall and otherworldly-beautiful ex-model and wears things no one but her could remotely pull off. And Zoey Deschanel's clothes on New Girl are adorable, but appropriate for her 20-something character, not my 40-year-old mom self. So I am asking you:

What shows are your style inspiration?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Um... I don't know that I get style ideas from TV shows. I like the way characters dress, but neither "big city" nor "office" are really my style. I have some great catalogs I look to for ideas, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM

My mother used to watch soap operas, and she was always dragging me all over the mall looking for s dress or something like Monica on General Hospital wore on one of the shows.

Juniper53098
by June on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I get style ideas from What Not to Wear.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I dont.I wear whatever I am comfortable in

othermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM

None really. I don't follow the fashion much

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM

none at the moment

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM

same here.

Quoting elasmimi:

My mother used to watch soap operas, and she was always dragging me all over the mall looking for s dress or something like Monica on General Hospital wore on one of the shows.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Not really .. I wear what I want :)

wandep
by Pam on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

me too.

Quoting momofsixangels:

I dont.I wear whatever I am comfortable in

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM

can't say any are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)