Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Style Inspiration From TV

Posted by   + Show Post

Style inspiration can come from anywhere: magazines, blog, people on the street, co-workers, friends. One major way I get inspired, though, is from the TV shows I watch.

It's interesting to see how the trends on the stores are influenced by TV, too. For example, the first season after "Mad Men" made its debut, 1950's-ish fit and flare dresses were everywhere that spring (and hooray for those of us with a more 1950s-style body!). I'm old enough that my first big style influence from media was "Friends." Yes, I admit to rocking the Rachel and still would to this day if I could.

Of course, my favorite shows right now are Parks and Rec, Top Chef and New Girl, so I'm out of luck style-wise. Amy Poehler is gorgeous and made of awesome, but her character Leslie Knope is kind of fashion-challenged (and I could never make use of that many pantsuits). Top Chef is, well, everyone wears chef jackets except for Padma Lakshmi, the host, who is a tall and otherworldly-beautiful ex-model and wears things no one but her could remotely pull off. And Zoey Deschanel's clothes on New Girl are adorable, but appropriate for her 20-something character, not my 40-year-old mom self. So I am asking you:

What shows are your style inspiration?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-59):
alliesmom112
by Sandy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I dont know that I realy get inspiration from shows, Now Pinterest I get ideas all the time

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I dont watch tv a lot but Padma is definitely gorgeous!

JerseyGirl511
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM

none

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Lol

Quoting Juniper53098:

I get style ideas from What Not to Wear.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM
I don't pay much attention but from TV I guess
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM

None really

slw123
by Shawna on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I don't really think about style while watching tv, honestly. 

Threes.Company
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I am not sure any TV shows are my style inspiration.  I look to Pinterest for inspiration.

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I don't really use tv shows for style ideas. I like to wear comfortable clothes. Thanks for sharing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)