Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Garden

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

Anyone have their own to grow fruits and veggies? Any advice bc I am thinking of doing this at my parents this year! Thanks!

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM

well I am having a hell of a time getting my sprinkler situation in order but other than that we have banana trees, mango, papaya, guava, wild cherry, moringa, plum (caribbean), star fruit, pineapple and pomerac.

Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:15 AM
No idea good luck here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlekD
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM

That is a ton of fruit. What do you do with it all? And where do you live?

Quoting MixedCooke:

well I am having a hell of a time getting my sprinkler situation in order but other than that we have banana trees, mango, papaya, guava, wild cherry, moringa, plum (caribbean), star fruit, pineapple and pomerac.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:22 AM

we eat them when they are in season.  I live in South Florida.

Quoting AlekD:

Quoting MixedCooke:

AlekD
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Well of course you eat it :P Do you eat it all though? I know my aunt has two peach trees and the whole family ends up with cans and cans of preserves by the end of the season. Do tropical fruits not produce as much? (Sorry I'm kind of ignorant about fruit trees)

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting AlekD:

Quoting MixedCooke:

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:26 AM

well we give a lot away to family and friends but I dont make jams generally.

Quoting AlekD:

Well of course you eat it :P Do you eat it all though? I know my aunt has two peach trees and the whole family ends up with cans and cans of preserves by the end of the season. Do tropical fruits not produce as much? (Sorry I'm kind of ignorant about fruit trees)

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting AlekD:

Quoting MixedCooke:

Moms_Angels1960
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:19 AM

I have grown my own veggies and some fruits for about 30 yrs what would you like to know there are some fruit and veggie groups on here also.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:26 AM

aah man.. i wish i had better weather, I love all these fruits.. my hubby asked me yesterday if we could grow bananas lol.. i was like yeah right if you had a green house lol.

Quoting MixedCooke:

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Pamela go ahead and get all the info you can now, when the weather gets better then start by planning. Measure your space and make "beds" then check out what grows naturally in your area (i get books from the library) and when you know what you can plant check the time it takes for things to grow, this way you can plant things while others are in season and you will have something all year (or about all year) long. 

here is a good video.. check youtube for more :)

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:33 AM

You also need to know what type of soil you have... although you could always put new soil in.. or plant in containers like this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN