- 2-½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 pints premium vanilla ice cream,
whipped cream or light cream (half
and half) for topping
Yellow cornmeal from South Texas Milling.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Grease a 1-½ quart soufflé mold or baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter; set aside.
- Heat 3 cups of milk in a saucepan until it is close to boiling. Add the cornmeal and reduce heat to low. Stir until the mixture thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter, the molasses, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, salt and egg. Pour into buttered dish.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cold milk over the pudding and return to the oven. Cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes until the top is brown and crisp. Serve hot or warm with topping of choice.
Serves six to eight. Reheat leftover pudding before serving.
on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM