Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for suggestions (dinner related)

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Amy
  • 27 Replies

I tried some stuffed pepper soup at a restaurat this week and it was so very delicious.  Then, I saw that aldi's is having a great sale on their green peppers. So, my stuffed pepper craving is out of control ;) So, I was thinking of making stuffed pepers for dinner one evening.  Problem:  My husband HATES peppers.  Do you all have any ideas of a dish I could make for him that uses some of the same ingredients?  He doesn't like cabbage, so stuffed cabbage is out of the question, too.  I just want to please everyone with little effort.

Also, what is a good side dish to serve with stuffed peppers?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I stuff mine with hamb and rice.Maybe you could just give him the rice and hamb meat.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM

when my mom made stuffed peppers she made a few stuffed foil cups for those that didn't like peppers.  she'd take some foil, place a cup in the middle of it & fold the foil up around it to form a little cup.  she'd then put the pepper filling in it & bake it in the oven in a seperate dish from the peppers.

as for side dishes mom always made mashed potatoes, green beans or corn & a salad.

amyjane22
by Amy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I mentioned that to him.  He said, "I'll just eat a sandwich", lol.  He's so darn picky.  I'm glad my kids aren't picky eaters or I'd go crazy trying to plan a menu.

Quoting momofsixangels:

I stuff mine with hamb and rice.Maybe you could just give him the rice and hamb meat.

amyjane22
by Amy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Hmmm, he'll probably eat that.  If I put the sauce and some cheese on it!  Thanks :)

Thanks for sharing the side dish ideas, too!

Quoting lizzig:

when my mom made stuffed peppers she made a few stuffed foil cups for those that didn't like peppers.  she'd take some foil, place a cup in the middle of it & fold the foil up around it to form a little cup.  she'd then put the pepper filling in it & bake it in the oven in a seperate dish from the peppers.

as for side dishes mom always made mashed potatoes, green beans or corn & a salad.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I'm making stuffed peppers tonight!

I make enough so that after I stuff the peppers, I have extra meat mixture that I just make into giant meatballs and cook it all together.

I also usually serve something sweet on the side, like mashed sweet potatoes or homemade applesauce
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

the stuffing in peppers is kind of like meatloaf will he eat that? make a potato and veg?

amyjane22
by Amy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Mmm, mashed sweet potatoes sound so good right now.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Quoting beadingmom17:

I make enough so that after I stuff the peppers, I have extra meat mixture that I just make into giant meatballs and cook it all together.

I also usually serve something sweet on the side, like mashed sweet potatoes or homemade applesauce

amyjane22
by Amy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Yes, he'll eat meatloaf.  He's a little picky about rice being in stuff, but I think he'll be okay with the filling.  Great ideas!  Thanks :)

Quoting LifeCafe42:

the stuffing in peppers is kind of like meatloaf will he eat that? make a potato and veg?

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
They're sooo good. I make mine with butter, some cinnamon, nutmeg, and just enough brown sugar to make them sweet :) *drools*

Quoting amyjane22:

Mmm, mashed sweet potatoes sound so good right now.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Quoting beadingmom17:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by Sue on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

My DH is picky too. I don't know what to suggest since I don't eat stuffed peppers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)