Makes me sick when I hear of someone abusing an animal.They give companionship and loyalty and love.I love my fur babies.I love all animals
- Puppy mills are large-scale commercial dog breeding operations that put greater priority on profits than the health and well-being of the puppies.
- Many dogs are plagued with illnesses or infirmaries like kidney or heart disease, as a result of the poor conditions they’re kept in.
- Each year, thousands of young and healthy Greyhounds are killed because they lack racing potential or have been injured while racing and are no longer competitive.
- Dogfighting became prevalent in the U.S. after the Civil War, with professional pits proliferating in the 1860s. And was a source of entertainment for police officers and firemen.
- Today dogfighting has been reported in urban, suburban, and rural settings in all regions of the country.
- More than half the fur in the United States comes from China, where there are no penalties for abusing animals, which are raised in unbearably cramped and run-down cages on fur farms.
- It’s been estimated that there are 900 to 2,000 new cases every year of animal hoarding in the US, with a quarter of a million animals falling victim.
- Over 100 million animals – mice, rats, dogs, cats, rabbits, monkeys, birds, among others – are killed in U.S. laboratories for chemical, drug, food, and cosmetics testing every year.
- Every major circus that uses animals has been cited for violating the minimal standards of care set by the United States Animal Welfare (AWA).
- Most rodeo events rely on creating a stressful environment for the domesticated and often docile animals involved. Participants often rely on harsh handling practices (such as twisting calves’ tails or painful electric shocks) to make animals run faster or buck harder.
- The exotic pet trade is a multi-billion dollar industry in the U.S. And while some wild pets have been bred in captivity, many are taken directly from their native habitats. The stress of being violently removed from their homes causes a number of these animals to die prematurely.
- Due to genetic manipulation, 90 percent of broiler chickens (chicken bred specifically for meat production) have trouble walking.
on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM