Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This week is National Justice for Animals Week

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 9 Replies

Makes me sick when I hear of someone abusing an animal.They give companionship and loyalty and love.I love my fur babies.I love all animals

1. Puppy mills are large-scale commercial dog breeding operations that put greater priority on profits than the health and well-being of the puppies.
    • Many dogs are plagued with illnesses or infirmaries like kidney or heart disease, as a result of the poor conditions they’re kept in.

2. Each year, thousands of young and healthy Greyhounds are killed because they lack racing potential or have been injured while racing and are no longer competitive.

3. Dogfighting became prevalent in the U.S. after the Civil War, with professional pits proliferating in the 1860s. And was a source of entertainment for police officers and firemen.

4. Today dogfighting has been reported in urban, suburban, and rural settings in all regions of the country.

5. More than half the fur in the United States comes from China, where there are no penalties for abusing animals, which are raised in unbearably cramped and run-down cages on fur farms.

6. It’s been estimated that there are 900 to 2,000 new cases every year of animal hoarding in the US, with a quarter of a million animals falling victim.

7. Over 100 million animals – mice, rats, dogs, cats, rabbits, monkeys, birds, among others – are killed in U.S. laboratories for chemical, drug, food, and cosmetics testing every year.

8. Every major circus that uses animals has been cited for violating the minimal standards of care set by the United States Animal Welfare (AWA).

9. Most rodeo events rely on creating a stressful environment for the domesticated and often docile animals involved. Participants often rely on harsh handling practices (such as twisting calves’ tails or painful electric shocks) to make animals run faster or buck harder.

10. The exotic pet trade is a multi-billion dollar industry in the U.S. And while some wild pets have been bred in captivity, many are taken directly from their native habitats. The stress of being violently removed from their homes causes a number of these animals to die prematurely.

11. Due to genetic manipulation, 90 percent of broiler chickens (chicken bred specifically for meat production) have trouble walking.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamivon2
by Sandra on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Thanks for sharing.. 

critter_boo
by Sarah on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
People who abuse animals I can't stand them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pochaccotx
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Waiting on animal control to come pick up this little guy. he showed up last night and won't leave
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM

YW

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting pochaccotx:

Waiting on animal control to come pick up this little guy. he showed up last night and won't leave

Poor baby.He looks so skinny.He is a cutie

pochaccotx
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM
he keeps jumping up on one of our vehichles maybe a stray cat in the engine. People accross the street feed a bunch lf cats and the come over and use our backyard as a litter box ugh

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting pochaccotx:

Poor baby.He looks so skinny.He is a cutie

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pochaccotx
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

something is hiding from him lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Tfs !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM

yw

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)