Smarter Style: Thrift Shopping

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 95 Replies
3 moms liked this

Everybody has heard that "Thrift Shop" song that's all over the radio, right? If you haven't, I am so not linking it because the full version is totally NSFW. But it mght make you wonder: Can you find anything good at a thrift shop?

The answer is; It depends. There's a branch of one particular thrift store here where my friends are always finding these totally cute outfits, and a couple of my Facebook friends are always scoring vintage designer duds for like $2. So if you have a good eye, a creative sense of style, and are willing to scour some pretty gross racks, you can score. If, like me, your patience is limited, maybe not.

If you're super trendy or a non-standard size, you're going to have a harder time as well. As my friend the Queen of the Thrift Shop notes, selection is always great in small sizes because people grow out of those and want to get rid of the evidence.

Here are some rules:

Check everything super carefully for stains, rips, smells, and (shudder) bedbugs.

Don't buy used underwear or obviously walked-in shoes. Very dressy heels are good bets because they've maybe been worn once or twice;  anything with a worn sole is probably crawling with someone else's foot ick.

Sizes change over time and are not consistent, so make sure you're confident about fit. Items are usually final sale.

Be creative: Maybe that men's shirt in the crazy paisley pattern could be altered into a sleeveless dress or vest for you, or the outdated long skirt could become a high-low with a little hemming time. If you see something in a fabric you love, grab it; you can probably cut it up and use the fabric elsewhere.

Do you shop at the thrift store?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:20 AM
3 moms liked this

My 14 year old dd loves going to thrift stores.She can seriously spend a couple hours there looking through clothes.I think they are expensive and would rather hit garage sales

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes and yard sale, flea markets and consignment shops.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Yes, we shop at them...I'm always picking up fabric,knick knacks,books,tupperware,craft stuff,pictures,clothes and decorations..I have a new fettish with the cloth rabbits..I see them for a quarter for the little ones and a buck or 1 for the big ones..I'm searching for them..I'm trying to collect enough for my 6 daughters and dh and I...Someday I will succeed.. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I do not have the patience to scour the racks until I find a good deal. I'm always impressed by my friends who find stuff at thrift stores... I wish I could!

These are some good tips though... Now if only I could develop more patience!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I'm not a good thrift store shopper. I don't have the patience or eye for it. There is a trendier used clothes place that dd and I have had some better luck at but it's a bit more expensive than $2 an item.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Thrift stores are fun to shop at!

SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM

i love thrift stores!!

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM

love the thrifts!!!!  one of my favorite ways to shop:)

liveforever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM
4 moms liked this

I do and I love it! Ive found awesome deals on clothes and household item. The jeans Im wearing are from Goodwill. Theyre Old Navy...still had the tags on them, for $7.

This was my latest find. I got it at the Goodwill for $25!! Its brand new, donated from the Target store. Its actually still in stores selling for $150.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

of course i do...and its good advice..dont buy used undies and worn out shoes...not sure why they even put those out to start with

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: