Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Great beauty tricks for blah days

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies

It's rough in the mornings, staring at that mirror...just this time of year, I'm totally feeling blah and rundown and just meh. Anyone else with me? I've always read experts saying when you feel just so-so, put on some great new lipstick...so it got me thinking of some other great beauty tricks to give us all a little more oomph. Here's what I found:

-- Being indoors during Winter, regular skin tone that your mama gave you, regardless of why you are pale, sometime the light skin tone can make you look less than glow-ing. Don't rush to the tanning salon for a sun-kissed look - just grab a bit of  powdered bronzer (not too dark, maybe one or two shades deeper than your normal color) and apply it on your chin, the bridge of your nose, and right smack on the apple of your cheeks - right where the sun would naturally hit your face.

-- The best advice ever: wash your face before going to bed. Even if you don't' wear makeup, even if you didn't leave the house, your face needs to be washed before going to sleep with a gentle cleanser. If you are constantly dealing with breakouts, see if there is a reason for it. Are the blemishes on the side you sleep on more or where you may cradle the phone? Play pimple detective to find out if something you are doing is causing these woes.

-- Speaking of washing faces, if you head to the gym often, wash your face before you hit the treadmill or that Zumba class. Working out with makeup can really clog those pores.

-- To make your eyes pop, dark eye shadows aren't always the best choice. If you have smaller eyes, use a natural base color and then apply a color about two shades darker than that base in the crease. Not sure why, but the makeup experts swear by it. Also, for any eye size, opt for contrasting shades, like bronze and blue, gold and brown and so on. 

-- Some of the best beauty tricks have nothing to do with makeup, but what we do with our bodies and put in them...smoking can lead to horrible wrinkles, salty food can puff your face, drinking alcohol can dehydrated your skin. Keep aware of what you ate or drank for dinner before if you find yourself looking less-than-stellar in the morning.

Share your best beauty tricks and hints!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ingret      

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Always use a good moisturizer.

lasombrs
by Sara on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:52 AM

i dont have any. i never knew i should wash with a cleanswer even if i dont wear makeup. i probably still wont though

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Agree!

Quoting onecuteladybug2:

Always use a good moisturizer.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM

concealer and lots of it :)

wandep
by Pam on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Don't really have any..I just use foundation, blush, and lipstick. :)

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Thanks for the tips.I always wash my face and take my make up off at night

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM
I'm trying to start washing with a cleanser more... I don't wear makeup ever, but my skin still breaks out sometimes. :-\ Thanks for the tips.
chillemi78
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Keep a humidifier going in winter for all over better skin. Nothing makes me feel ugly all over like scratching at my itchy, scaly skin when it gets all dried out in the winter.
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Good list!  I agree that you should always wash your face before bed and before exercise.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Definitely!

Quoting chillemi78:

Keep a humidifier going in winter for all over better skin. Nothing makes me feel ugly all over like scratching at my itchy, scaly skin when it gets all dried out in the winter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN