Group Home

Smarter Mom: Generic or name-brand?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 65 Replies

We are on a tight budget these days....what am I talking about...we've been on a tight tight budget every day, for years. Granted, the details of the tightness have morphed but, still, we are watching how to save those few dollars here and there every week that add up to big savings at the end of the month.

The biggest area where we watch is our everyday shopping. For groceries and household stuff. Toilet paper, cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, fruit, milk, whatever it is...that is one area we can really control and examine what to spend our money on.

Which brings me to the question at hand: generic or name-brand. Sometimes, the price difference can be significant, a good dollar or two. The nice thing? So many stores (like Kmart) have their lines, their own store-brands that are just as good (if not better) than name-brand products. I've been venturing from tried-and-true name-brands to store-brand or generic products and been pretty pleased...saved some moolah on over-the-counter medicines like Ibuprofen and dryer sheets. But other times, I'm sticking with the brands I've grown up with...for paper towels and, yes, toilet paper. I'm a Bounty baby and a Charmin chick.

What items do you buy generic? How about name-brand items? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ tumpikuja                    

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewMamaBoo
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I have to get bounty pick a size paper towels! I buy generic tp because we have a nice fluffy kind for only $5 at walmart. 

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Most things I buy in bulk and buy name brand. I kind of have to with certain things because it it what I can buy in bulk or what is gluten free.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM
I buy anything generic that i can. Occasionally name brand stuff is cheaper because of a sale. I also look at unit price.

I loved KMart brand toilet paper, but i haven't seen the green pack in my local KMart.

My dad had to have name brand everything. He won't buy anything other than Charmin toilet paper. I am picky about toilet paper but i have branched out from only buying charmin.

When there is a good sale i buy angel soft toilet paper and it works fine for us.

Most store brands are cheaper, but i have found that sometimes you really are paying for what you get and that isn't always good.

KMart brand ginger ale is just like Canada dry with real ginger and everything for half the price.

I see people buy 20 oz pops all the time that's $1.69 or $1.79 each depending on brand when 2 liters are only $1.35 each.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I get pretty much everything generic.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything I have to get name-brand.

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM
To save more money consider using the following:

-wool or plastic dryer balls to replace dryer sheets

-cloth napkins to replace most paper towel use (covering a dish in the microwave, napkins, quick wipe ups around the house)

-homemade laundry detergent and cleaners (baking soda, borax, vinegar and washing soda)

...and I'm 100% generic:) I do splurge on toilet paper. I buy a product called "small steps" it's 100% recycled toilet paper (not used toilet paper- tp made from recycled material, lol) it's very soft and MUCH cheaper than 7th generation products.

:)
DanaG70
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM

The ONLY things I buy that are name brand are, Pepsi and Mt. Dew, Miracle Whip, Tide and Kraft Mac and cheese. Everything else I'm good with getting store brand.

Sophie4910
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I'm fine with generic anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:36 AM
It really just depends for me the item .. Dh is all about brands though ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Generic I use tp.

wandep
I luv Disney :)
Yesterday at 1:30 PM
by Pam on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Food items we buy brand names...nothing worse than non brand Kraft mac n cheese. LOL

It just depends on what it is tho as to whether or not we buy it generic. Usually some meds we buy generic because it is cheaper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky