Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Home Remedies for a Stuffy Head

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies

You all know about "mom immunity" ... that awesome superpower women with kids develop so that we are resistant to all the germs and crud our kids bring home.

Until it fails us. And then...HELP.

Mine failed me this week and I have the same miserable cold my little guy does, but worse. And of course this is the two weeks I am busiest out of the year. So there's no time for huddling under the blankets...not that moms really ever have time to do that. I don't like taking cold medicine, either...it either doesn't work for me or makes me super-spacey. So home remedies it is!

• One friend suggested drinking apple cider vinegar, and there is some evidence vinegar helps fight inflammation...plus my grandmother drank a tablespoon of vinegar stirred into a glass of warm water every day and she lived to be 96.
  • I have been living on soup and tea. I can't breathe, so I can't close my mouth long enough to chew other foods. The warmth helps clear out my head, plus it feels good. And the fluids help flush out the virus sooner. About two weeks before I got sick I finally bought one of those electric kettles that boil water really fast and keep it hot, and it's been great to not have to boil water on the stove every time I want tea.
  • Steamy Washcloth is my sinus pain remedy...I discovered this when I came down with a sinus infection right before my wedding and nearly married it instead of my husband, it's that good. Soak a clean washcloth in water, wring it out a bit, and toss it in the microwave for a minute. As soon as it's cool enough to handle, spread it over your face. The warmth is so soothing and the steam helps break up all the mucus and yuck inside your head.
  • Friends swear by the neti pot, but I haven't tried it yet.

What's your go-to home remedy for a bad cold?

© iStockphoto.com/ma-k

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sophie4910
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Tea is a life saver.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I breathe in vinegar or steam .. And take lots of hot showers !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Hot tea & hot showers are my go to home remedies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I don't really have one.  I'm not the hom remedy type. 

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I do know that I like hot showers or a nice steamy bath when I am sick. 

fraujones
by Amanda on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

A hot shower and a spoonful of honey. 

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Humidifier 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Yep, the steamy washcloth is my best friend... As well as its cousin, the homemade heating pad filled with rice and lavendar. Super easy to make your own and store it in the freezer, and it holds the heat a little longer than the washcloth.

I hope you feel better soon! 

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM

We do steamy showers, hot tea with honey /mint, leamon tea, green tea.

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Vicks Rub

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN