Smarter Style: Plus-Size Cocktail Dresses

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies
2 moms liked this

As a work-at-home mom, I rarely if ever get the chance to dress up. Sure, I might throw on a dress for date night or wear heels and a skirt to a meeting, but generally it runs pretty casual around here. So I am super excited, but also in full-blown wardrobe crisis, for a party I am headed to this weekend. Our friends are throwing a full-on, grown-up, Mad Men style cocktail party as a way to bust the winter blahs. So fun! But what in heaven's name am I going to wear? Especially since I am plus-size? I don't want to look like mother of the bride but I also want to be appropriate.

As it turns out, this is a pretty good time to be shopping for fancy clothing because stores are trying to get rid of all the holiday items. Here's five I found that are gorgeous, and some are even affordable.

Masterful Monologue dress: I love vintage style and this swishy black dress just screams "understated glamour." (Modcloth, $157.99)

Sequined Trim High-Low dress: I love the color of this dress, and I think the high-low sillhouette is subtly sexy. (Forever 21, $27.80)

Francesca dress: So smokin' hot, but restrained enough that you could wear it to a work function without getting talked about by the watercooler. (Lane Bryant, $160).

Sweetheart neckline wrap dress: Again, sexy but restrained. This is absolutely one you could wear just about anywhere, probably even to work with a cardigan over it. (Lane Bryant, $98)

Attention Women's Ponte Metallic: Not plus size per se, but its stretch and the flattering cut would look good on just about anyone. (KMart, $13.99).

Which one do you like best?

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Even though I am plus size...my shape wouldnt look good in any of them, but i LOVE LOVE LOVE the Masterful Monologue Dress from Modcloth !

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:31 AM
I will have to come back when Im not on my Nook to see the dresses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I like the last, but really can't answer because it depends on the fit.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Wish2Be:

Even though I am plus size...my shape wouldnt look good in any of them, but i LOVE LOVE LOVE the Masterful Monologue Dress from Modcloth !

I was wondering about the waistlines on some of them. I have a belly and really watch where the waist line falls

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I like the one from Modcloth and the one from Lane Bryant(the second one)

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

The dress from ModCloth.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Today at 12:00 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I think it does depend on the fit ;)

fraujones
by Amanda on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

The Modcloth one. I love vintage styles. 

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Thanks

wandep
by Pam on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Looks cute.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: