Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: How to find your “good” side?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies

Think of pictures of yourself. There are ones you like, and ones you'd like to burn or at least drag to the trash can on the computer screen. Maybe it's because the camera wasn't capturing your "good" side. Science tells us that most folks like looking at the left side of faces...this article in Time magazine says we humans find that side of the face "more pleasing." Go figure. Granted that doesn't mean the left side of your face is your good side.

How do you find out which side is your good side? There's no real magic -- it is all about looking at pictures and the mirror. Look through old pics and find ones you really like of yourself. Take note of where the camera is in relation to your face, how your whole body angled, all of that.

Play around in the mirror with angles, with light, tipping your chin up or down. I mean, just think about all of those celebs that don't seem to take a bad picture...it is because they always stand and tilt their head the way to maximize their look. Why shouldn't you do that the next time you're posing for that family photo?

Do you know your good side? Do you often pose in the same way for pictures?

©iStockphoto.com/ Kupicoo 

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I often try to stretch my neck forward to get rid of my double chin in pictures, but if I had to pick a good side....though I doubt I have one.... I am going with the RIGHT side because I have a mole on my left cheek.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Hmmmm no clue
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I dont really have a good side but I guess if I had to pick I would say my  right side

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I think my right side is better looking lol.. but I have noticed its not only about turning your head one side, you have to also kind of tilt it in a certain way to "hide" imperfections.

I also like to take pictures looking straight, sometimes they come out nice :)

this is one of my fav pic of me... hubby said I look too sexy lol.

wandep
by Pam on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM

This is one of my favorite pictures...the sun was just right. :)

wandep
by Pam on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Nice picture...love your hair.

Quoting yvonne37:

I think my right side is better looking lol.. but I have noticed its not only about turning your head one side, you have to also kind of tilt it in a certain way to "hide" imperfections.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Thanks :) funny thing is that I had just dye it and cut it myself that day and I was so proud of my hair lol.. I love that color, now I just did it in a red tone and it didnt come out that nice :/ gonna have to go back to brown lol

Quoting wandep:

Quoting yvonne37:

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Yeah I can see the light was perfect for taking pictures.. you have a lovely smile :) and your skin looks great!

Quoting wandep:

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
wandep
by Pam on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Thanks...Mary Kay makeup. :)

Quoting yvonne37:

Yeah I can see the light was perfect for taking pictures.. you have a lovely smile :) and your skin looks great!

Quoting wandep:

wandep
by Pam on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Yeah I was wanting my hair color to be red but they have the hardest time coloring it because it is so dark. :( debating getting mine cut again. It is so frizzy. Want to do it in layers.

Quoting yvonne37:

Thanks :) funny thing is that I had just dye it and cut it myself that day and I was so proud of my hair lol.. I love that color, now I just did it in a red tone and it didnt come out that nice :/ gonna have to go back to brown lol

Quoting wandep:

Quoting yvonne37:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)