Smarter Living: Must-read books on my list

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

It was one of my New Year's Resolutions: to read more. And I'm succeeding at it...kind of. My problem? There are so many books I want to read, I can't decide which one to pick up first. I've got a pile that is huge sitting on my desk and an even huger (is that a word?) list of books I want to get (or download) and start as soon as possible. What are a few on that list and in that pile?

This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, Elegant Theories of How the World Works by John Brockman - Delve into an exploration of concepts and questions about the everyday. Brockman interviews experts in every field to help all of us understand the whys and hows of our world.

What Shall I Wear by Claire McCardell - This is a reissue of McCardell's take on everything fashion-y. The author was one of the first designers to champion what is now known as "The American Style" - relaxed, easy and elegant. There are illustration and even guides on building a wardrobe on a budget.

Royal Pain by Megan Mulry - I am a sucker for books like this - the ones that could be turned into a romantic comedy movie. This one follows Bronte Talbot, who is obsessed with Britain's royal family and, unknown to her, she's dating a duke...hilarity ensues, of course.

Clean Eating for Busy Families by Michelle Dudash, R.D. - I'm putting this on the top of my kitchen counter, not the pile. Full of great, easy recipes that are healthy, this one also helps me tackle another new year's resolution: cook more real foods, microwave less frozen foods.

What are you reading right now? What other books should I add to my list and pile?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Magnetcreative 

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mackiebugsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Royal pain sounds adorable. Right now I'm reading The Host, it's good so far.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Im not reading anything right now. I just finished Paula Dean's bio & that was pretty good...if you enjoy bios & Paula. Another bio I really enjoyed was Tina Fey's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM

i haven't read in a while.  Wish i had more time!  i love reading a good book.

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:24 AM

I loved The Host!  I'm pretty sure there's a movie coming out soon.

Quoting mackiebugsmom:

Royal pain sounds adorable. Right now I'm reading The Host, it's good so far.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I loved the Tina Fey book!

Quoting MamaMandee:

Im not reading anything right now. I just finished Paula Dean's bio & that was pretty good...if you enjoy bios & Paula. Another bio I really enjoyed was Tina Fey's.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
artistmom27
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I am reading The Curse by Sherrilyn Kenyon and reading Moby Dick with my son(I have a 1977 collectors edition).

Next on my list hasn't been decided

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:41 AM

thanks

fraujones
by Amanda on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I read mostly fiction. I'm reading Deafening by Frances Itani. 

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I don't read a lot....I did more reading when I was younger and I do enjoy it but must be in a reading spell/mood when I can just really get into a good book....however, the last book I started to read at the library was one on Helen Keller's life....hope to check it out one day and finish it.

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I'm reading the Deborah Harkness series A Discovery of Witches. I'm on the second book and love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: