Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: What’s the fuss about kale?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 61 Replies

You'd have to have been visiting the now-demoted planet Pluto for the past year or so not to have heard some talk show, read some magazine or talk to some friend about it. I'm talking kale, the superfood du jour.  We have good friends who love it so much, they offer kale chips up every time we come over. Folks swear by it, that it is so yummy and fabu for your insides, your skin, your mind. What exactly does kale have that's soooo great? Well, it is chock full of vitamins (K, A, C), a bazillion antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, and it packs a huge fiber punch. Me? I have yet to try it, munch on it very often, and when I have, it's always been in a salad. I think I need to serve it up a bit more...here's some recipes for us all to try!

Bobbi Brown's Coconut Kale Shake from DoctorOz.com

1 cup ice

1 cup coconut milk

1/4 cup cocoa powder

2 tbsp chia seeds

2 scoops of chocolate protein powder

1/2 frozen organic banana

Handful of frozen organic cherries

1/2-1 cup kale, depending on personal taste

Add all ingredients to blender and blend for one minute until smooth. Pour and serve.

Whole Grain Spaghetti with Garlicky Kale and Tomatoes from RealSimple.com

6  ounces whole-grain spaghettii

2  tablespoons olive oil

1 medium red onion, thinly sliced

2 cloves of garlic, chopped 

kosher salt and black pepper

1 bunch of kale, thick stems removed and leaves torns into bite-size pieces (8 cups)  

2 pints grape tomatoes, halved 

1/3  cup chopped roasted almonds 

1/4  cup  grated pecorino (1 ounce), plus more for serving

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook, tossing frequently, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, tossing frequently, until the tomatoes begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes more.  Add the kale mixture, almonds, pecorino, and reserved cooking water to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve with additional pecorino.

Breakfast Smoothie from Oprah.com

2 large kale leaves

1/3 cup skim milk

1/2 cup strawberries

1/2 cup blackberries , plus more to taste

3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt

1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice

2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed

Rinse kale in cold water to make sure it's very clean. Blend kale and skim milk in a blender until finely ground. Add fresh berries, yogurt, orange juice and freshly ground flaxseed and blend until smooth. If more sweetness is desired, add additional blackberries.

Do you love kale? Share your best kale recipe!

©iStockphoto.com/ Ockra

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I made kale chips once and I must have done something wrong they were not my favorite
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Do not like it :)

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I have been meaning to try it but I have the miracle tree in my front yard, so i just harvest some of that and I am good to go!

MORINGA

According to the book "Lost Crops of Africa, volume II" by the National Research Council, moringa leaves contain seven times the vitamin C in oranges, four times the calcium in milk, four times the vitamin A in carrots, two times the protein in milk, three times the potassium in bananas and twice the amount of iron in spinach. Optima of Africa, Ltd., a group working with the tree in Tanzania, also points out that 25 g -- or close to an ounce -- of moringa leaf powder per day provides a child with 42 percent of his daily protein requirement, 125 percent of calcium, 61 percent of magnesium, 41 percent of potassium, 71 percent of iron, 272 percent of vitamin A and 22 percent of vitamin C. Various parts of the tree also contain the minerals zinc, manganese, phosphorus and copper.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/361645-moringa-nutrition-information/#ixzz2MpfgpUZx
Aurorasmom
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Kale chips are amazing! My 6 year old is always requesting them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Ehh not really a big fan.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:20 AM

It's ok.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Have never tried it but I feed it to my bearded dragon

wandep
by Pam on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM

No don't like kale. :(

artistmom27
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Not a big fan of kale

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM
I could probably do the shake. I've tried to cook it before and I didn't care for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN