Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As time goes on you will find yourself seeing how much I like to recycle old stuff.

As our children get older, their tastes begin to change and that $40 table you just bought 1-2 years ago doesn't appeal to them anymore. This is a good way to make your children happy and even get a look you might not find anywhere else.

Upcycled Children’s Play Table

by Dinah Wulf

Upcycled Children’s Play Table

One of my best friends gave me this Disney princess table when she moved. I loved the shape of the chairs and the storage pocket in the center; however it was a little worn from use.

I decided to take on this DIY project, paint it, and “glam” it up a bit with a Hollywood Regency style. This do it yourself  project required painting it, adding seat cushions, a monogram, and a clear crystal knob. I had the primer, paint, and fabric from past projects already, so the total cost for this table and two chairs was less than $20.00.

Here is the after:

I decided to prime it first, even though the surface was already smooth due to the existing character design. I used a light sand paper to help remove a few old stickers, and cleaned the surface. Two coats of primer worked perfectly. When priming, make sure the paint is completely dry in between coats.

I painted both chairs and table with two coats of white paint. After is dried completely, I used painters tape to tape off my design. I painted the design, the storage cover, and the balls of the table legs and chairs blue.

After you paint is completely dry, I recommend painting the table top with polyurethane with at least two coats. It is added protection for it’s future marriage with crayons and markers!

Meanwhile, I used a circular wooden plaque, polyester fiber fill, and fabric for the seat cushions.

When stapling fabric onto the plaque, it’s best to keep the extra material and trim it after.

I glued the seat cushions to the chair with an extra strength wood glue and added a self adhesive monogram. I also added a few coats of decoupage medium to seal in the monograms.

Next, I reattached the storage bag and added a knob to the lid.

Here are some before and after pictures.

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Replies (21-30):
bwsmommy
Happy Thanksgiving !!
Yesterday at 10:33 AM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Wow .. thats amazing !!

MamaMandee
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM
I have seen people turn them into mini Haunted houses for Halloween decor.

Quoting inmybizz:

super cute. 

I have an old doll house we need to upcycle. Got any ideas?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Cute idea to bad my daughter's princess table top is plastic & foam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
artistmom27
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I have seen a DIY project to change out those tables, I will look it up and post it asap :)

Quoting MamaMandee:

MamaMandee
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Cool, thanks!

Quoting artistmom27:

I have seen a DIY project to change out those tables, I will look it up and post it asap :)

Quoting MamaMandee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Very nice and chic
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SammiBaby
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

That is absolutely adorable! I love it!

bether89
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM

It turned out great.  I love the chairs.

MomTiara19
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Very creative!

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

So cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN