Group Home

Absinthe (Listeni/ˈæbsɪnθ/ or /ˈæbsænθ/; French: [apsɛ̃t]) is historically described as a distilled, highly alcoholic (45–74% ABV / 90-148 proof) beverage.[1][2][3][4] It is an anise-flavoured spirit derived from botanicals, including the flowers and leaves of Artemisia absinthium (a.k.a. "grand wormwood"), together with green anise, sweet fennel, and other medicinal and culinary herbs. Absinthe traditionally has a natural green colour but may also be colourless. It is commonly referred to in historical literature as "la fée verte" (the green fairy). Although it is sometimes mistakenly referred to as a liqueur, absinthe is not traditionally bottled with added sugar, and is therefore classified as a spirit.[5] Absinthe is traditionally bottled at a high level of alcohol by volume, but is normally diluted with water prior to being consumed.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (11-17):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I have never tried it

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

We had real absinthe in Greece.  It's terrible and tastes like Listerine.  The absinthe that you buy here in the US is different from what you buy in Europe.

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Interesting

sucker4myloves
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Yes, real absinthe is the most disguting crap ever. I wouldn't know if it really makes you hallucinate cause I spit that nasty shit out. BLECH

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

We had real absinthe in Greece.  It's terrible and tastes like Listerine.  The absinthe that you buy here in the US is different from what you buy in Europe.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

What's funny is that I read up on the whole hallucinating thing and it's not the wormwood in it that makes you hallucinate because you'd have to ingest crap loads of it, but rather just the incredibly high alcohol content coupled with the fact that our bodies aren't used to ingesting something with so much alcohol so quickly. 

We actually found a place that was an absinthe bar that even made mixed drinks out of it.  Even in a mixed drink, if was gross. 

Quoting sucker4myloves:

Yes, real absinthe is the most disguting crap ever. I wouldn't know if it really makes you hallucinate cause I spit that nasty shit out. BLECH

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

sucker4myloves
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Really? That's too funny. So really, even a cheap crappy high-content drink like Everclear could make one hallucinate? That's awesome. I didn't try it overseas, I'm afraid. I've never left this continent. I have a friend in the UK who used to send me things back in our experiemental teen years. She's snuck me quite a lot of contraband over the years. Obviously we don't do it anymore, well I don't anyway, but of all the things I got high on that she smuggled to me, absinthe was NOT one of them!

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

What's funny is that I read up on the whole hallucinating thing and it's not the wormwood in it that makes you hallucinate because you'd have to ingest crap loads of it, but rather just the incredibly high alcohol content coupled with the fact that our bodies aren't used to ingesting something with so much alcohol so quickly. 

We actually found a place that was an absinthe bar that even made mixed drinks out of it.  Even in a mixed drink, if was gross. 

Quoting sucker4myloves:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM

never heard of it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.