Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: How Do You Get Your News?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

I'm a journalist by trade and a major news junkie by personality, and have always prided myself on reading at least one paper, listening to our local public radio station's news programming, and generally being well-informed on what's going on.

Until the last few years. We only get the paper on Sundays after I realized the daily edition could sit there for days before anyone opened it (my husband reads the news on his iPad). I can't stand our local TV news, which always seems to lead with "Five Things in Your House That Will Kill You All! Tune In At 11!" I still listen to our local "news and talk" public radio show if I happen to be by a radio, but honestly? 98 percent of my news comes from Facebook....someone posts something and I'll go read the story if I am interested but I often just follow the headline. Since a good chunk of my FB friends are also journalists, this is not a terrible strategy, but still, I need to get in the loop!

I have apps from NPR, The New York Times, and our local paper on my phone, follow several local journalists and news bloggers on Facebook, and also follow some political types like my city council members. I also read CafeMom, Curbed, and Gawker. This works, but I'd like more. Help!

How do you get your news?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I read online usually prompted by a fb post or someone at work talking about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
she_walk_softly
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Breaking news app on the iPad  and NPR on the radio. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Internet  :)

chrissydan
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM
The today show, fb, local tv news
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Im a news Junkie too. I get mine from both local & world news shows, local & state paper, news apps, twitter & other social media.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Local,and online.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I watch it on tv and also on the internet

wandep
by Pam on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM

TV

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM
News apps on my phone, both local and national. I have no idea when I last read a newspaper or turned on TV news.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
artistmom27
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Local newspaper

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)