Spinach salad with red onion and tangy vinaigrette is a lovely companion to these potato cakes.
- 2 center-cut hickory-smoked bacon slices
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds shredded peeled baking potato (about 2 large)
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan using a slotted spoon, and crumble. Add onion to drippings in pan, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add leek and garlic; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Combine onion mixture, grated potato, cheddar cheese, 3/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and 2 large eggs in a medium bowl, stirring well.
- 3. Divide the potato mixture into 8 equal portions, and shape each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Squeeze moisture from each patty. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; sauté 2 minutes on each side. Transfer patties to a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until set. Top with crumbled bacon and sour cream.