Group Home

Smarter Mom: When she wants to pick out her own clothes

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

My daughter, since she's been three, has been picking out her own socks. Always mismatched...which is totally fine by me. Asserting herself and control and sense of style...all fine. I'd pick out the rest of what she'd wear...a shirt or dress, some cardigan, leggings or jeans. Done. She'd rarely care what I had selected, was pretty happy with my styling du jour. It was grooving right along.

However, recently, my daughter turned to me and asked to pick out her own clothes in the morning. Which, I have to say, is totally fine...but well, that means I have to really get in there and organize those clothes. Get rid of the stuff that I know doesn't fit, the summer-y items.

Not a huge deal and it needed to be done, but more than that, well, I'm sad to see this day come. We are now on the road of one less thing I'm in control over. We've now entered the Town of Wardrobe Negotiations. Granted, I'm still buying and placing the clothes in that closet -- so they aren't too short or inappropriate. But I'm totally flash-forward to the tween and teen years...and I'm a little freaked out.

Do you pick clothes for your kids? When did they start choosing their own daily outfits? How is shopping for clothes with your kids?

ŠiStockphoto.com/cheyennezj 

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM

My kids pick out their own clothes.But a lot of the time they ask for my opinion

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I pick them ds doesnt care he is very easy

BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My son (who will be 6 soon) let's me dress him. boys are so easy!

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM

yes, my daughter picks out her own clothes. Most of the time her clothes don't match, even when i buy a matching set. She's happy that's all that matters.

mereinhart28
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM

my kids have been picking out their own clothes for a while now :( I guess they started right around preschool. they both have their own "style" lol

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

It's like you read my mind this morning... My son chose an outfit that totally doesn't match, and I wanted to tell him to change. In the end, I decided that it really doesn't matter, and I let him wear it.

Letting go of control is hard!

He's been choosing his own clothes off and on since about that same age of 3. If we have to be somewhere nice, or if he asks for help, I will help him pick. You're right, it helps keep the closet cleared out of ill-fitting clothing!

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I still pick for my youngest and my older ones I help if needed.

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Shopping for clothes is interesting...lol

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My son helps me pick he has cubes of different kinds of clothes so i tell him to pick something out of his blue cube (pants) and red cube (long sleve shirt)

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My daughters picked there clothes out at 3 or so and my son who is now 3 doesnt care what he wears.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky