Group Home

Smarter Mom: DIY spring crafts

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

Spring is around the corner, people. I can see it, I can smell it, I can feel it. Okay, sure, I also felt snow on my face last week, but the first day of spring is March 20, Easter and Passover are both the end of March. It's coming...and you know what that means: spring crafts! Birds, butterflies, eggs, oh my! Think about it this way, even if we are stuck inside on a cold, rainy spring day, you can channel some creative warmth with these artsy décor projects.

Spring Artwork by Debbie-DebbieDoos.com

This craft is fun for just you or get the kids involved. You can grab any sort of cut-out you want - a cat, a flower, a bird. Just pick a theme and a color, glue the cut-out to the canvas and paint. I think you can even use two different colors (paint first, then glue).

What You Need:

Canvas 

Spray paint color of your choice  

Foam cut-outs.

What you do:

Glue your cut out on the canvas, let glue dry, spray paint.

Yarn Butterflies from GummyLump.com

Definitely a good craft for some afternoon inside, make a whole family of butterflies to hang around the abode. Simply take the popsicle sticks and wind yarn around it. Add a pipe cleaner antennae and you're done. Yes, there are more specific instructions below, but it is really easy.

What you need (per butterfly):

2 popsicle sticks

2 buttons

1 long pipe cleaner

Yarn

Poster paint and a paint brush

Scissors

White glue

What  you do:

Paint your popsicle sticks to match or complement your yarn and let dry completely. Take 2 popsicle sticks and form an X. Start this off by winding your yarn around and between the X a few times, leaving an inch or two of yarn hanging off the beginning piece. We will need this to tie it off later. Make sure the X shape is now firm and doesn't move around. Wrap the yarn snugly around the right side first, starting at the center and working your way to the edge. Leave a quarter inch of stick showing at the edge. Wrap the yarn snugly around the right side first, starting at the center and working your way to the edge. Leave a quarter inch of stick showing at the edge. When you get to the end of the right side work your way back to the center.  Now work your way to the far left side with the yarn and then end back at the center. Cut the string, leaving enough to tie it off with the other piece you originally left hanging.  Tie a pipe cleaner around the middle of your butterfly and twist at the top. Thread a button through the end of each pipe cleaner. Trim length of pipe cleaner if uneven. If desired hang from the ceiling with transparent thread or fishing line.

Paper birds from Parenting.com

This is such a cool idea, and I love the fact that I can finally reuse those dregs of gift wrap I have floating around. You can grab shells at many craft stores...if you can't find shells, use pieces of hard cardboard cut into oval body shapes.

What you need:

Colored paper, such as recycled gift wrap

Scissors

Small leaves and twigs

Glue

Flat shells

16-inch-long string or thin ribbon

Thick paper

What you do:

Cut out three thin oval shapes from colored paper for the wings, a beak shape and a little circle for the eye, and trim two twigs for the legs. Glue the wings, same-length legs, and beak onto the back of the shell, fanning out the wings across the top of the bird's "body" Let dry. Cut string and fold in half to make a loop. Glue the ends to the inside of the shell, and cut and glue a round piece of thick paper over the back to hold the string in place. Glue a leaf onto the front as a wing and stick the eye in position. When everything is dry, you can hang your bird from the nearest branch, a window, or even a coat rack.

Wood monsters from Parenting.com

So, maybe your kid would rather do monsters than birds? Then here you go. I love these and my daughter can't wait to create her own monster family. Again, if you don't have driftwood, think of something else - wooden paint stirrers can be trimmed into a variety of lengths or even small wood kitchen utensils.

What you need:

Pieces of driftwood in various sizes

Wood glue

Acrylic paint in assorted colors

Paintbrush

String or pipe cleaners

What you do:

Play with different bits of wood until you're happy with your arrangement. Glue the pieces of wood together. You may have to hold them for a few moments as the glue dries. Apply a base coat of white acrylic paint, or another color, to your design and let dry before adding further colors on top. Use acrylic paints to paint the eyes and mouth. Use bright colors to paint the body. It looks good to leave some of the wood showing. You can use any string or pipe cleaner that you may have around for arms or legs. Glue in position and let dry before you play with your monster.

Spring Twig with Felt Blossoms from Ordinary Mommy Design

Again, looks harder than it is, but even I can create a jazzy piece of spring décor - you just cut out felt petals and glue them onto a branch.  Perfect as a centerpiece for a baby shower or Easter brunch.

What you need:

Salvaged twig or small branch

Bit of felt (I used two shades of yellow)

Scissors

Hot glue gun

3 templates of varying sizes (large, medium, small) in the shape shown on the website, sized according to the size of the branch

What you do:

Cut out three petals for each branch tip the twig has. My branch had five tips, so I cut out six large petals to cover two of the tips, and nine medium petals for the other three tips. Put a line of hot glue along the bottom straight edge of the petal and wrap it around a branch tip. Layer the other two petals on in the same fashion to cover the tip of the branch Repeat until all of the branch tips are covered. Cut out a handful of petals from the smallest template to glue along the twig at varying intervals. Check the branch for knots or budding spots- these are natural places to glue these small petals. Place only one petal in these spots. Stick the branch in a jar and enjoy it! 

Do you have some spring crafts you love to do? Share pics of your DIY spring decor and fun!

©iStockphoto.com/kaczor58 

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-flynn
by Greta on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Those are some cute ideas
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I love these :)  Thanks for sharing.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM

cute ideas!

SassyWildflower
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

tfs these ideas. we just do random kid crafts really..

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

very cute... we dont do  much crafts anymore :/

mackiebugsmom
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I love the butterfly!
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

cute ideas, but I am not crafty. I'm more of a shopper.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Cute idead
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM

what cute ideas! i think we are going to make the lil toilet paper roll bunnies someone posted!

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Oh how cute those are! I can't wait to find some spring crafts to do with my toddler and nephew!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys