Smarter Mom: Speed Up Laundry

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

It boggles my mind how adding one person to a household exponentially increases the amount of laundry generated. When I married my husband, the laundry did not double, it tripled (and he's not one of those guys who have more clothes than me, so I'm baffled) and somehow little itsy-bitsy baby and little-kid clothes turn into giant laundry piles.

Luckily, laundry is my favorite household task, probably because you can really enjoy the fruits of your labor right away, and you can be off doing other things while still knocking out a load or two. But it's still massively time-consuming. Here's a few tips I have come across that make it easier, faster and even cheaper:

Simplify sorting: Either get one of those standing laundry bags with compartments for each member of the household and have them throw whites in one and colors in the other, or just use two laundry baskets, one for lights and one for darks. Or you can even ...gasp!...skip sorting altogether. If you're washing things in cold water, you can throw pretty much everything in there together (although I wouldn't do this with jeans or brand-new red items that could bleed).

Turn down the heat: You can wash most loads in cold water and dry them on low heat. The only loads I do on hot are sheets and towels. Not only does this keep your clothes in better shape longer, but it saves energy (and thus money!).

Use shorter wash cycles: Unless clothes are very dirty (think workout clothes, sports uniforms, and pretty much anything little kids wear) you can probably get away with the shortest cycle on your washer.

Go light to heavy: Once you get your dryer going, keep doing loads continuously, and start with lighter items that might be damaged by high heat and end with things that can stand up to it, like towels. It will even take less time to dry those towels since the dryer is already heated up.

Defeat the Sock Monster: Use binder clips, a mesh lingerie bag, or safety pins to keep socks together and keep the sock-eating thing that lives in the dryer from getting all your socks.

Make folding fun: Okay, "fun" might be pushing it, but I do all my folding when I am watching TV. I am not a big TV person, so it's a huge treat to enjoy a few episodes of old favorites from Netflix while I get through a big pile of clothes. And only fold what needs it: you can throw bras and such into bins, and as for workout clothes, do you really care if your yoga pants are a little wrinkly?

What are your favorite tips to make laundry faster?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Use cold water for most washers :)

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I sometimes separate it into tops and bottoms such pants, panties, socks, boxers, etc in one load and shirts, bras, etc in another load.  Sometimes I do it per person making it easier to put away where it goes.

I still want to get a bin for each person at least to bring to each of their roooms.

I dont mind doing laundry but I hate to put it away even if I fold while watching television, it is just so mundane!  I have often contemplated hiring someone just to do the laundry, fold it and put it away!

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:52 AM
One load everyday keeps the laundry monster away.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Yup, and fold it straight out of the dryer so it doesn't have the opportunity to pile up.

Quoting MamaJane:

LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Oh thank goodness - I was starting yo think I was an alien for not sorting my laundry and throwing everything (except towels and sheets) together in a cold wash!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mackiebugsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:08 AM
I do some of that and will remember the rest, thanks for the tips!
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:25 AM

You and I fold the same way lol..  i do it in my daughter's room and put the tv on while folding, I set up piles for each member of the family and then I bring them to their place, I separate t'shirts from pants and this way each pile has a drawer to go in and I just have to pick it up and put it in. Thanks for the tips :)

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:26 AM

lol you are not alone, I only separate color and whites..  and use cold water only.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Oh thank goodness - I was starting yo think I was an alien for not sorting my laundry and throwing everything (except towels and sheets) together in a cold wash!!

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I need to do this.

Quoting MamaJane:

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Yup. And folded in piles of the room it goes in so I just grab a stack and take it to the room in question it take 60 seconds to put it away.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Yup, and fold it straight out of the dryer so it doesn't have the opportunity to pile up.

Quoting MamaJane:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: