Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Beauty Splurge or Save?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

I've loved makeup ever since I was a little girl (and not allowed to wear it!), and even now as an adult buying a new nail polish or lip gloss is my favorite little treat to myself.

The qualilty of drugstore makeup is getting better and better all the time; while I used to never be able to find any foundation that didn't turn my pinkish-pale skin orange, now the big brands sell pretty much every shade imaginable, and color cosmetics are just as varied. However, there are some things where I think it makes more sense to spend the money, and others where I don't.

My main splurge is foundation, because I think the more expensive brands just look more natural and there's less risk of the dreaded line at the jaw. If you keep an eye on the ads, you can make sure to buy it when the manufacturer is doing a gift with purchase and get a whole new set of high-end makeup for the price of one bottle of foundation, which makes it pretty affordable.

I go mid-range, i.e. still drugstore but the more expensive drugstore brands, for things like skincare products and eye makeup. I have sensitive eyes and wear contacts, and have had some terrible experiences with super-cheap mascara and eyeshadow. Mascara's effectiveness has more to do with the brush style and shape than it does formula, according to the experts...if you find something that gives you the effect you want, stick with it (and replace it every six months!).

Interestingly, I found out in researching this post that there are only a few manufacturers of wooden makeup pencils, so it's entirely possible that drugstore eyeliner or lip liner could be made by the same manufacturer as a high-end line. I know I have had just as good performance from pencils that cost $1 as I have with more pricey ones. Lip gloss and nail polish don't vary a ton by price, either, so have fun there.

Where do you spend on makeup and where do you save?

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I buy my make up at the dollar tree or avon..

mom2jessnky
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM

My sister buys the majority of my makeup (and it's mostly Smashbox). It bothers her that I hardly ever wear makeup.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I don't wear much, but I like a good 12 hour lip color

BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I buy a lot of my makeup online.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I buy mine at dollar tree or walmart

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM
I mix it up. Some things are high end and others drug store. Just depends on the product.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:52 AM
I don't really wear makeup, but I think you get what you pay for with skincare products.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I buy it wherever it is on sale and I use Revlon usually.

bwsmommy
Happy Thanksgiving !!
Yesterday at 10:33 AM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM

When i wear makeup my foundation is the most expensive item i buy .. that and my eye mascara .. granted i love Laura Geller makeup .. sooo much but i would be broke cause theres so many items of hers i love !!

fraujones
by Amanda on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I don't really splurge. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN