Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: Do you dress your pets?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 59 Replies

We walk a lot here in New York City, as does everyone else. The streets and parks are kind of a communal front yard. Which means as we go for jaunts, so do many folks with their dogs in tow.

Now, sure, this leads to a bit of, ahem, navigations to be made at times (though most folks abide by the poop-and-scoop rule), but the perk is we see all of the pet fashions. Yes, you read that right: pet fashions. Dogs with sparkly, Bedazzled collars and leashes, some with bows, some with little jackets, quite a few with booties, especially in the winter. Not too many hats, but sweaters and coats galore. Some of those cuties need those bits of outerwear as it gets pretty cold here in the city.

My sister has two cats, but have never seen them in any sort of ensemble...not sure a cat would go for it or not. My brother-in-law and his wife have a little dog named DeNiro, and I do believe he may have a few outfits, a sweater or something.

We don't have pets that we can walk (due to allergies, we only have a fish) so Kiddo loves looking at the various outfits and we guess names and genders and the whole thing. But I have to confess, we do dress up Kiddo's cats (her stuffed ones), and I know, if we had a pet, we'd dress them up.

What about you -- do you dress up your pets? Share your pics!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ GlobalP

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I will put a dog sweater on them in the winter. Only when its in the 40s or below.

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

When we had our dog he had to wear a sweater in the winter or he would freeze. So yeah he had a few nice ones that I had hand knit for him. He had little boots for the summer because the ground was so hot he got burned once. It seems silly but this was something that honestly he needed medically.

Heck I know people who buy coats for their sheep. It helps with keeping the wool clean for when they sheer them and then sell the fiber. I only buy my fleeces from coated sheep. This way I don't have to pick out hay and other vegetable matter when I am prepping the fiber.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

We don't usually dress our dog up.  However, the kids made a Thanksgiving movie for a movie making class and the dog was a pilgrim.  Here is the dog dressed in a girl pilgrim hat that the kids made for him.

mom2jessnky
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:56 AM

I don't imagine that they sell clothing for rats, and in any case, NO I don't/wouldn't. Unless your dog has thin fur/skin (like a Whippet) and they NEED a sweater when it's cold, I think dressing your animals is LAME.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Cats do not take well to clothing, lol.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I think it's totally unnecessary most of the time! And we have cats and rabbits, so they wouldn't tolerate it anyway
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SassyWildflower
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM

when we had a dog we put sweaters on her when it was cold.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I have no pets but I wouldn't dress them
momma-flynn
by Greta on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Only for Halloween
BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I have pomeranian and yes, I used to buy him booties for the snow (because his little paws would freeze) and sweaters. He loves his sweaters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN