Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: What TV mom are you like?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 59 Replies

My husband and I have been into the TV show Parenthood (we came to it late, so we're binge-watching all of the seasons on Netflix and Hulu). We both love it and while watching it, we've both agreed I'm kind of like a combo of all three of the younger moms on the show - most like Lauren Graham's Sara and Monica Potter's Kristina, with a touch of Erika Christensen's Julia. I have elements of each of them in my own personality and parenting style. I'm quirky and really honest like Sara, but I'm also totally invested and overthinking like Kristina...and yes, I'm a touch Type-A like Julia

It got me thinking about other TV moms...and who I may be like and who I am not. Now, we all know those soap opera moms are over the top and those moms on Mad Men? Betty Draper is one of the worst moms on TV.  I'm not a yeller, so that counts out Rosanne and Patricia Heaton's character on Everybody Loves Raymond.

But, I do infuse a lot of humor into my parenting style, so there's a bit of Claire Huxtable in me, yet don't quite have her total all-together swagger. I can go down the Claire Dunphy road on Modern Family, as she veers onto the "anxious-nervous mom who messes stuff up" area as I do (often).

Soooo, I told you mine, let's hear yours -- which TV moms are you most like? 

©iStockphoto.com/DanComaniciu 

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Hmmm. Good question. I will have to ponder on this and answer in the moring :o)

mackiebugsmom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Frankie from The middle :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Peggy .. From the married with children show .. With the hubby named al .. Lol not really .. But gosh I loved that show ! Now I don't get to watch enough tv to have a "show"!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:28 AM
1 mom liked this

You're a cross between Mrs. Brady, "The Cosby Show's" Mrs. Huxtable and Marge Simpson. Sure, you provide positive reinforcement to your kids when they get good grades, but you also rule with a firm fist by teaching a lesson each and every time and realizing like Maggie and Bart Simpson, your kids are different and require your individual attention. 

By instilling ethics in your kids so they know the difference between right and wrong, you're not afraid of sending your kids to their room – even if it means they'll miss a big family camping trip or a school dance. The behavior of the kids on Laguna Beach with all its drama, rivalry, and rifts between Kristin and LC is unacceptable in your family.

I googled around and got this from a website called "Sheknows.com".

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:24 AM
Claire dumphy is probably the closest to me, but I don't let my teens run the show like her I'm more a Cosby in that aspect.
PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Im definetly most like roseanne
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by Greta on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM
I would say Jill from Home Improvement.
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Probably mrs. Cosby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Im definetly most like roseanne

Thats me too.Lol And I loved the show

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd say Claire Huxtable, because I'm sympathetic and loving, but still firm with high expectations.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)