Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Scar maintenance 101

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies

I have quite a few scars. C-section scar, one from when I had my appendix out, two on my feet from foot surgeries, two from hernia surgery, one under my arm where a lymph node was removed, and another on my chin (a fainting spell resulted in nine stitches). That's not even counting the remnants from some regular old scrapes and cuts that have stuck around. So, you can bet I've wondered how to treat scars and minimize their appearance - especially that chin one.

-- Avoid sunlight. Ultraviolet rays can really affect the ability of a scar to fade so be sure to always use sunscreen on scars - heckadoo, it is good advice for your whole body, no?

-- If you have a cut that is healing, don't pick at it. Let it heal and have any excess skin or scabs fall off naturally. This can minimize whatever scarring may occur.

-- Massage. After a scar is fully healed, massaging the area everyday can help keep the tissues loose so they don't bind and create as much of a raised appearance.

-- Avoid expensive creams. Many creams say they will minimize the appearance of scars because of vitamins and other additives. Many dermatologists will just say to keep it moist with Vaseline. However, I've known friends who have used Mederma and other over-the-counter lotions with good results.

Always check with your doctor before using any sort of treatment or if your scar gets red or irritated or oozy, defiantly go get it checked out as it may be infected.

Do you have any scars? How did you treat them to keep them healthy and minimize appearance? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Marek Uliasz

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bergencounty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM

for arms and legs, I just wrap an ace bandage around the scarred area, letting one get some sun w/out worrying about the scar [of course I apply sunscreen first]

Quoting HeatherNYC: -- Avoid sunlight. Ultraviolet rays can really affect the ability of a scar to fade so be sure to always use sunscreen on scars - heckadoo, it is good advice for your whole body, no?

Do you have any scars? How did you treat them to keep them healthy and minimize appearance? 

mom2jessnky
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:45 AM

I have several small scars, they don't bother me like scars seem to bother most people.

The thing that bothers me is, I had a reaction to a cortisone shot and have an area  on my hand that's not pigmented anymore, it's permanent and will never go away. Boo. Thankfully I'm SUPER WHITE so it's not THAT noticeable, except when it's cold it turns pink-red and is really noticeable and weird. blah, worth it though because that cortisone shot worked on my wrist pain.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I onlly have a few

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:54 AM

yes I have.. :)  two c-sections and a surgery to remove a cyst next to my heart... that one they removed by going in through my back, so under my right shoulder I have a very big scar that by the way turned red-ish and raised, it looked horrible, it was not infected but the doctor said it turned "quiloid" ?? or something like that.. well with time it is looking better, now it kind of blends with my skin tone and its not so raised.  I was thinking of having a tattoo done over it, but the doctor said it might not be a good idea.

thanks for the tips.

Rain2Rinse
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:57 AM
I don't try to treat them. Scars add character and lead to interesting conversation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by Sandra on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:58 AM

a small one of my forehead. ran into table as child..

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Use cocoa butter to massage in. It helps.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM

This is all interesting. I only have one big scar, on my thumb, and I've had it so long that I don't even know what it's from. The location isn't a big deal, so I don't worry about the appearance.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM

cocoa butter!

Juniper53098
by June on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I have lots of scars.  I've had 2 c-sections, my appendix removed, knee surgery, surgery on both wrists, and my jaw.  I'm also a picker, so I have lots of little scars from that.  I don't do anything to minimize them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN