Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A way to save money and have plenty of veggies and fruit.

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 29 Replies

Another post reminded me about this little trick I have done for many years.

Having my own garden has saved me so much money over the years but the best part is you don't need a lot of room to have one. If you are on food stamps you can buy any fruit or vegetable plant or seeds with your food stamps.

Gardens don't have to be big by any means. You can have a window garden or a balcony garden. If your soil isn't really fertile or your afraid of underground critters munching away at your garden. There are a few tricks to still have a great garden with raised beds.

I have several differents plans that I can share with anyone interested in learning how to do a window, balcony, or raised beds.

If you aren't sure where you could place any one of these I can help with that too if you would like. Plus I will also do the research in your area for prices and find the best values.

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cassidysmom611
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM

What a great post!! Could you share some ideas for growing in Windows? We live in apt building... so outside in the ground is a no go here. 

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I don't have the space, balcony, etc for a window or balcony planter.... I can't wait to buy a house.... we're looking at homes with enough land to make at least 100 square foot garden.

Crazylife1994
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Absoluty I can do that. I need a couple of things from you to give you the best plans. 

1. Measure the window you want the planter so I can give you exact measurements.

2. What would you like to plant?

3. Does the window have a lot of natural light coming through it?

Quoting Cassidysmom611:

What a great post!! Could you share some ideas for growing in Windows? We live in apt building... so outside in the ground is a no go here. 

Crazylife1994
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM

My garden I have now is on 2 acres of land. I had to wait along time to get it. Somehow I pulled of a small garden in every apartment we had. I still don't know how I did it. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I don't have the space, balcony, etc for a window or balcony planter.... I can't wait to buy a house.... we're looking at homes with enough land to make at least 100 square foot garden.

aubsmom09
by Erin on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Can't wait to get the garden going again this spring.  Love just going out into the garden and pick a few things to have with our dinner.

Cassidysmom611
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Thank you!! 

am going to have to find where my lovely DH put the tap measure. (he is away otherwise I would ask him). But I will find it and let you know..

I think I would be interested in planting any type of veggies. My Window definitely has a good amount of sun coming in.

Quoting Crazylife1994:

Absoluty I can do that. I need a couple of things from you to give you the best plans. 

1. Measure the window you want the planter so I can give you exact measurements.

Quoting Cassidysmom611:

Crazylife1994
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm the same way. The only problem I have is my 9 yr old is a vegan and will go out and eat all my tomatoes. So he has his own patch of tomatoes.

Quoting aubsmom09:

Can't wait to get the garden going again this spring.  Love just going out into the garden and pick a few things to have with our dinner.

Crazylife1994
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ok just let me know and I will give you everything you need.

Quoting Cassidysmom611:

Thank you!! 

am going to have to find where my lovely DH put the tap measure. (he is away otherwise I would ask him). But I will find it and let you know..

I think I would be interested in planting any type of veggies. My Window definitely has a good amount of sun coming in.

Quoting Crazylife1994:

Quoting Cassidysmom611:

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM

our apt is like 600 sq ft in total... we moved from a 3bdrm 3 level house into a 2 bdrm single floor apt. There is NO ROOM! lol I hate it. I feel so cramped!

Quoting Crazylife1994:

My garden I have now is on 2 acres of land. I had to wait along time to get it. Somehow I pulled of a small garden in every apartment we had. I still don't know how I did it. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

momkaribg
by Kari on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Great idea. I have a back deck the is barely used. I would love to plant some fruits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)