Group Home

Doggie on a diet

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 24 Replies

Max, my pug, went to the vet today for his semi annual checkup and shots. They called me wanting to check his thyroid because he weighs 28 pounds, an 8 pound weight gain since we got him a year ago. I confessed we'd been giving him people food, and got fussed at. If he hasn't lost 3 pounds in 6 months, we are going to be in trouble. Do you over indulge your pets?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM
We do a bit. Feeding needs to be watched in some breeds. Our Aussie eats his food and snacks until he full and that's that, he's always slim. But our dacockapoo, however, has no filter. We have to watch carefully because he will eat everything in the house without stopping and will become overweight easily even with exercise. He'll even steal his brother's food. We love to give them treats but I love for them to be healthy even more. It's hard when dacockapoo gives me the puppy eyes and sits pretty. I always give in and give him just a taste or two.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

We do our best not to.  The most our cat gets is a fork of flaked tilapia for a treat.  What you can do for dogs is give the raw carrots.  My brother had to do this for his lab since that is a big dog.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM

No bc our cats will just puke it up so just kitty food for them, but sound alike he will be just fine if you cut out the people food  and walk a little more 

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM
::::hangs head:::: yeah we do. The lab is fine cuz she is so active, the beagle is chubby but she sleeps most of the day. The cats pretty much only get cat food but a can of tuna here & there. But you cant eat any chips near Kara the cat or she begs. She loves chips!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle :) on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM

We have 2 cats - one fat and one skinny. They get cat food only, no people food except the end of the tuna can. The skinny one is the one that sleeps all the time, the fat one goes outside and runs!

AstuteMama
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The only pets that I own is my kids, and yes my kids get over indulged all the time. But seriously I don't own any pets. Although my boys act like monkeys all the time I don't treat them like animals.

HisSweetheart07
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

lol mine eats whatever we eat. 

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

The vet told us about the carrots. We gave him one last night, and he looked at us like we were crazy. Once you've had steak, carrots just don't do it for you, lol.

Quoting frndlyfn:

We do our best not to.  The most our cat gets is a fork of flaked tilapia for a treat.  What you can do for dogs is give the raw carrots.  My brother had to do this for his lab since that is a big dog.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM
I don't t have pets
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

yes i do.  my dog came from the shelter, I think the prior owner didnt feed him dog food, the first week he was here we went through 4 different brands of food and he was not eating, but when I gave him people food he ate.  now what I do is give him rice with boiled chicken or leftovers if they are not too seasoned.  he is in good shape and when brought to the vet they asked me and i told them I tried everything else but he wouldnt eat it... the vet told me that he wont starve, to try the dog food and eventually he will eat it.  Me?  I dont think so.. he likes mammas cooking and is my less picky eater lol... so I dont care what they say, I am letting him eat what he wants, hek, you only live ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci