Ingredient of the day 3/21

Posted by   + Show Post

What would you make with

Rice

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Some kind of stir fry. Sweet n sour chicken, ham fried rice, beef stir fry. I also sometimes out my BBQ meat balls on rice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Dh and dd love it. Me, not so much.

Quoting mrswillie:

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Stuffed peppers, probably.

I'm not a fan of rice

That sounds soooo good. I haven't had them in a long time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassidysmom611
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM

We love chicken, broccoli and rice casserole. Sometimes I also just make rice as a side. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Mandarin Orange Tea Rice

1 1/2 cups Mandarin orange-flavored green tea
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
pinch allspice
1 1/2 cups 10-minute brown rice

1. Place tea, seasoned salt, and allspice in medium saucepan; cover and bring to a boil on medium. Stir in rice; return to boil.
2. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir; cover and let stand 5–7 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with fork and serve.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Mango Rice

1 tablespoon pre-diced onions
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning blend
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried mint (optional)
1 cup water
3/4 cup mango nectar
2 cups instant white rice

1. Place all ingredients (except rice) in medium saucepan; cover and bring to a boil on high.
2. Stir rice into boiling mixture; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Lemon Rice
1 lemon (for zest and juice)
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon butter
2 cups instant rice

1. Rinse lemon. Using vegetable peeler, peel 3–4 strips of lemon peel. Chop finely to equal 1 1/2 teaspoons. (This is lemon zest.)
2. Cut lemon in half and squeeze lemon juice from both halves (about 2 tablespoons) into medium saucepan. Add water, seasoned salt, and butter. Cover and bring to boil on high.
3. Stir rice and lemon zest into boiling water. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Serve.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Mexican Rice

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes until golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin.

Stir in onions and cook 1-2 minutes until they become transparent. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Fried Rice

This is a very simple recipe that my Japanese roommate used to make in an electric skillet in our dorm room when I was in college. Fry bacon. Cut up green onion, separating the white and green parts. Remove bacon. Add white part of onion to bacon grease, and any meat or seafood you're using, and cook till almost done. Add chilled rice. Add a few dashes of soy sauce; stir to heat. Top with crumbled bacon and green onion. No bacon, just use oil. When my kids were real little, I only added the soy sauce after I took out their portions. This became a family favorite. I added lots of different vegetables, corn, peas, carrots, depending on what I had on hand. I also sometimes added an egg. It became a family favorite.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Red Rice, Charleston

6 strips bacon

1 medium onion, diced

3 scallions, minced

2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped

1 cup long grain rice

¾ cup cooked ham, minced

Salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350. On top of stove, heat a heavy cast iron skillet, add bacon strips and cook till crisp. Remove bacon strips and drain on paper towels. Cook onion and scallions in bacon fat till they turn translucent. Crumble bacon and add with tomatoes and remaining ingredients to skillet. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes. Place in a greased 1 ½ qt. Ovenproof casserole dish. Cover and bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Jambalaya or fried rice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80