Group Home

Smarter Mom: Best Lifehacks for your Wardrobe

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

We chatted about Lifehacks a week or so ago...I heart them. Strike that, I double-heart them. You run across a tip, a hint, a smidge of advice and it is like those V-8 ads - you plonk your palm on your forehead and think, "Why didn't I think of that?"  One main area I have trouble with is the wardrobe. Not only shopping for and buying items I will actually wear but how to store it. How to create and house a wardrobe that reflects me at my best. So I gathered a few Style Lifehacks...some are totally physical ones, others mindset, all are awesome.

The Hanger Reverse Trick - This one tells you, plain and simple, what you wear and what you don't...at least of the hanging clothes. Once a year, reverse all of the hangers in your closet. When you wear something, put the hanger back the "normal" way...after a few months, you will see what you really wear and what you don't. Key for closet organization.

Remember the Tag Check - Before you buy anything, remember to check the tags for care. As much as you love that sweater or blouse and believe you will wear it all of the time, if you have to dry clean it or not chunk it in the dryer, well, it may not be the best investment. This definitely goes when shopping for kids' clothes.

Multiple Mantra - If you find a pair of jeans you adore or a sweater that makes you look and feel awesome, buy more than one. I have a long, black cashmere sweater that I wear all of the time - with jeans, with skirts, with black pants and pearls. Thank goodness I went back to the store and bought another one.

Embrace the Saville Row Fold - Raise your hand if your pants (and your husband's) always fall off of the hanger when you shuffle the other clothes around them. Right. Me too. The Saville Row Fold solves that (I found it here at, well, Lifehacker). With your pants upside-down and the hanger in-between the legs, fold one leg over the hanger all of the way so that leg's hem hits the crotch. Then fold the other leg over the first one on the hanger. It should stay no matter what gets shoved about.

Do you have great "hacks" for shopping and your closet? Share them here!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ ODV

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Only buy shoes that are really comfortable, no matter how cute they are, if they aren't comfortable, they don't get worn.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I have to try that trick for folding pants! Sounds brilliant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I bought these hangers that are non-slip and they work great for keeping clothes on nicely. My shirts used to slip off all the time....

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I have never used those hangers before

maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Quoting SweetLuci:

Only buy shoes that are really comfortable, no matter how cute they are, if they aren't comfortable, they don't get worn.

I totally agree!

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

always check clearance racks 1st.....you can find deep discounts, esp at target!

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM

TFS

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

This too!

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

always check clearance racks 1st.....you can find deep discounts, esp at target!

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I changed my wardrobe a bit ago. Now I wear basics and everything matches everything else. It helps because I know to buy 5 new black t-shirts and they will go with everything. I just pitch the old ones and know they are all worn equally. I have one classic pair of sneakers , one pair of black boots, and one pair of black heels. They are all excellent quality. I save by buying one good pair for a higher price than three cheaper pairs that last not even half the time. I have one purse that matches everything and one leather bag for heavier items. I change the looks with jewelry or knitwear that I make myself.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

the same time you do the hanger flip try on everything you don't remember the last time you wore it. If it doesn't its gone because if its too small you deserve new when you lose weight, if it too big don't ssume you'll ever need it again. (doesn't count if you are pregnant lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie