Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate my house a little less today.

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 34 Replies
There are so many things I hate about my house. And don't get me started on the guilt I feel about this. I have a 4-bedroom, 2.5-bathroom home in a great neighborhood. I should be thrilled that we live here. Some people are homeless. Others have to cram large families into 1-2 bedroom apartments. I know I should be thankful. I am grateful for what we have, for sure, though sometimes I forget.

But, there are times (like when I am stuck inside for months on end during winter) where I really start to notice all the little things I HATE about my house. We are trying so hard to save money so we can make updates, but it is hard to save a lot of money when I am a SAHM and we have 3 kids. I know this is the life I chose and it meant sacrifices, and I accept that. We don't have debt (aside from our mortgage and a car payment that's done next Jan). We are great with budgeting. We don't spend money we don't have. It's soooo hard to look through the Sunday paper at all the ads and see all the cool stuff I would love to get for the house, but we just don't have the money for it... Or to see home improvement shows where people turn their drab homes into something amazing... Or to be on Pinterest and see all these AMAZING design ideas or organization things you can do with your home... We just don't have the money. I mean, we do have the money, but we need to SAVE the money so we can do those things.

This is a hard things for me, because when I see a problem I want it fixed immediately. I do not want to wait 2 years. But unfortunately, a lot of the problem spots in our house are EXPENSIVE fixes. We just got a quote on our master bathroom. I told the guy I did not want anything fancy... just wanted a fresh start in there. Guess what the quote was... $12K. Yup. Just for mediocre, we have to spend $12K on our bathroom. Sigh. We don't have that much saved yet. No where near.

I am trying to start spring cleaning to make myself hate the house less. I think if things were more organized and looked cleaner, I might not dislike it so much. Today I spent 3 HOURS, a full 3 hours, detailing our disgusting refrigerator -- the one appliance we did not replace when we moved in back in 2007. I completely disassembled the inside of it. Fridge and freezer. I even used a toothbrush and Q-tips to get into every single nook and cranny. It is really clean now. I am happy about it. It was horrid before. I am not sure why I let it get to that point. Parts of it had seriously never been cleaned since we moved it, since I could not figure out before how to get the base shelf out. Nasty. I wanted to throw up a couple times. For real. Ugh. Looking back, it is pretty embarassing that I let it get to that point. But, now it is clean and I feel loads better.

And with that one small cleaning job done, I feel just a smidge better about the house as a whole. I hope to continue to do these cleaning jobs over the next week since the kids are home for spring break and the weather is too crappy to do much else.

Has anyone else started spring cleaning yet? What have you done?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Jen on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM
We did the dining room today bc im having 13 ppl for dinner tonight. I cleaned it out and donated three bags of things to savers which im so proud of myself for. Im trying to go thru things not that i have kids and be realistic about whether ill use it or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I could have written this post almost word for word with only a few changes & not the fridge part. I have not started on Spring cleaning due to my back but the house has gotten a few really good cleanings since all the caseworkers have been coming over for my niece.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabbyD
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
I felt like I was just reading my thoughts!

Although we only have a 3br 2 bath... Our house is small. I also want to do a gazillion updates, but we can't. We have some $$$ saved but not nearly enough for what we want. We also want to redo our basement and second bathroom... I get so depressed when I go downstairs. I'd also love an addition to the house but I highly doubt that'll happen within the next 10yrs. We bought our house when the market was high and now it's definitely not worth the price we purchased at... So we'll be here a loooong time :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabbyD
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM
I forgot to add that this past week I've been on spring break (I work at a school) and I've been cleaning and decluttering my life away! I've even scrubbed our walls and baseboards! I also rearranged things and what not... It's made a bit of a difference at least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I haven't started spring cleaning yet, but I need to get started.

Threes.Company
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM
This is our exact situation. I too would love an addition -- but there is no way we can afford it. No way. We can afford it in like 20 years... and DH thinks this house is not worth adding to since we would never get that money returned. It would make more sense to just sell and buy something bigger. But our bathrooms need redoing and I would love to redo the kitchen (actually take out a wall and have it extend into the formal dining room we don't really need) and I would love to finish some of our unfinished portion of the basement so we can have an office.

But... we also need a new roof, a new furnace, new windows... so all that cosmetic stuff gets bumped to the bottom of the list. So we have to put in about $25K worth of necessary fixes before we can even begin to save for the more "fun" stuff I want to do. :(

Quoting crabbyD:

I felt like I was just reading my thoughts!

Although we only have a 3br 2 bath... Our house is small. I also want to do a gazillion updates, but we can't. We have some $$$ saved but not nearly enough for what we want. We also want to redo our basement and second bathroom... I get so depressed when I go downstairs. I'd also love an addition to the house but I highly doubt that'll happen within the next 10yrs. We bought our house when the market was high and now it's definitely not worth the price we purchased at... So we'll be here a loooong time :/

Threes.Company
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I would love to just pay a cleaning company, like Merry Maids, to come and do a deep cleaning for us... but once again, if we spend that money, that just sets our savings plan back even further. UGH. So it looks like I have a week's worth of cleaning ahead of me. It took me 3 hours just to do the fridge and freezer... and I have a laundry list of other things we need to do, too.

Quoting MamaMandee:

I could have written this post almost word for word with only a few changes & not the fridge part. I have not started on Spring cleaning due to my back but the house has gotten a few really good cleanings since all the caseworkers have been coming over for my niece.

Threes.Company
We are just starting spring break here, and this is what I plan on doing with my week. Some activities for the kids and the rest of the time -- lots and lots of cleaning!!!

Quoting crabbyD:

I forgot to add that this past week I've been on spring break (I work at a school) and I've been cleaning and decluttering my life away! I've even scrubbed our walls and baseboards! I also rearranged things and what not... It's made a bit of a difference at least.

Sophie4910
Glad you feel a little better.
Threes.Company
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Well, that is one way to get motivated to clean -- invite 13 people over for dinner!!! :) Hahaha! That reminds me of that funny "someecards" type picture that says something like "my house is never cleaner than the 10 mins before a guest comes over" or something like that. ;) So true for me!

Quoting lillucky8:

We did the dining room today bc im having 13 ppl for dinner tonight. I cleaned it out and donated three bags of things to savers which im so proud of myself for. Im trying to go thru things not that i have kids and be realistic about whether ill use it or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)