Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Channel your inner MacGyver

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies

Broken pterodactyl wings. A shower caddy that constantly plonks down too far on the showerhead. Superhero capes for stuffed cats. What do all of these things have in common? They are all things I have MacGyvered.

Yes, MacGyvered. You know, fixed a problem or solved a need using my wits and stuff I have around that's handy...quite possibly with a paper clip. Yeah, that is a reference to the aforementioned TV show character which is now a verb...MacGyver often used a paperclip and a rubber band and some sort of adhesive and flammable material to blow a lock or create a means of escape from the baddies.

I think all of us moms have our inner MacGyver, being able to figure out, in mere seconds, how to fix or create or invent something that will a) better your everyday, b) quiet a whining/crying/about to meltdown kiddo or c) enhance and entrance your child. I love this ability. It doesn't always appear, but more often than not, it's reliable. 

My main MacGyver tools: duct tape, cloth remnants, straws, dental floss and paper towel tubes. I'm not counting tools like scissors and screwdrivers that often come in handy too. But I don't think MacGyver would mind if he saw the smile on Kiddo's face after her pterodactyl could fly once again.

What are your best MacGyver moments?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Theiskid 

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM

My dh and I recently watched MacGyver on Netflix.  Safety pins and duct tapes are my main MacGyver tools.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM

hair pins are really useful.. pens too! you can always break them apart and use all the "guts" ;) 

I cant think of a MacGyver moment but I am sure I have some... maybe I will come back when I remember :)

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM

don't think i've ever had any.  i remember watching that show when i was little & loving it though.  there's one channel on cable that plays macgyver episodes, haven't caught any though.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Tape, crazy glue, safety pins!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I've discreetly taped my skirt at work when the hem came undone. My dad was better. Once he fixed my muffler with wire coat hangers and tin cans. 

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Duct tape for sure and hair pins.

OliviaW.
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I've done a bunch. I used to work for a cleaning company and we were always having to fix our stuff. My current project is making a vertical garden for the backyard.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Tape and safety pins!

Juniper53098
by June on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I don't have those....

EbonySnow
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I can't think of any right now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN