Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Rocking the Rain Gear

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

It is April. As the saying goes, "April showers bring May flowers." The word we are concentrating on today is showers. Yup, rain, thunderstorms, showers, storms, water falling from the skies. I know many of you hop into cars and travel to and fro school and the store and such, but here in NYC, we walk around to do all of that. Perhaps hop on the subway, but still, we are subjected to whatever Mother Nature has in store. Which means we need rain gear. Rain gear that we like, that we feel semi-decent in, if you know what I mean. A plastic poncho isn't going to cut it. So, I've been spying a few new ideas for those days when the clouds hover and dump some H2O on the city streets.

This trench from Tommy Hilfiger would keep me dry and look a little more polished than the usual rain slicker. It could also be used when it isn't raining, which makes this a double-duty do. Snatch it at Zappos.

I know, I know, it's all about the hair, right? Rain, humidity can do a wee bit of damage fro even the best-sprayed ‘do. That is why I really like this rain hat from Mycra that I found on Amazon. The wide brim ups the chic factor.

If you want color, check out these uber-cute bucket hats. Seriously, you could get one to match any and every outfit. Also on Amazon, stash it in your tote and pop it on when caught in an unexpected storm at the playground.

Okay, now for the footwear. Sure, there are the usual suspects, plain colors, black, green, yellow...I'm partial to the Burberry plaid but am kind of digging this eye-popping print from Sperry Top Sider I saw on Zappos.

And, of course, I spotted more than a few things I'd love to get for Kiddo, who will be tromping through the rain with me more often than not...so how cute is this little trench from Land's End? Pretty adorable, no?

What kind of rain gear do you have...or need?

©iStockphoto.com/ damedeesko

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I have a light rain jacket and an umbrella.  I have some rain boots somewhere in the garage.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Just my jacket...I don't usually go out in the rain..And if I do, it's just long enough to get into my truck and drive, then from the parking lot to the store or house..  

mamivon2
by Sandra on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM

the rainboots hurt my eyes

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

dd needs an umbrella

bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I have rain boots and a tan rain jacket.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM

i only have a jacket that's water resistant, not really a rain coat.  both the kids have rain coats though.  they used to have rain boots but haven't been able to find any reasonable priced ones since they out grew their old ones.  i don't want to pay allot for shoes they are only going to wear a few times.  i'm cheap like that!

dusky_rose
Haven't been on here in a while.
Today at 12:28 AM
by Sue on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM

We just bought jackets last month at Burlington Coat Factory. I got this one on sale (it was missing the liner so I got extra off). I have a sweater I can use as a liner in the colder months, but its perfect for spring!

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Just an umbrella.

kgmmw
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I only like the rain boots
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM

We have an umbrella that gets us on occasion..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)