Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: March Madness Fun for Kids

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know it is April, but it is still March Madness, baby. Anyone else been watching the games, following the brackets? It is a family experience here in my household, although, yes, it's much more exciting for my husband, really. But Kiddo and I attempt to be intrigued while tuning into the eleventh game of the weekend...thought it isn't always the most riveting TV for us. All the more why we've been playing games as we watch. Yup, March Madness Mommy-Made Match-Ups. Check ‘em and try 'em this weekend during the Final Four frenzy!

Commercial Count-Up - Before the commercial, they always flash the score. Add the numbers together and then try to come up with three things about that number (like if it is 105, you could say 105 pennies would make a dollar and a nickel).

State Trivia - Break out that iPad or computer and find out what state the teams playing come from (Sure, if it is Michigan, you already know). Then, figure out some fun facts about that state - state bird, capital, number of people living there, and so on. See if you know anyone who lives in that state or was born there.

Scavenger Hunt -  Before the games start, have a list of thing to spot while watching. Think fans with their faces painted. A cheerleader. A mascot. A really hideous tie (look on most of the coaches). A trombone (they always show the school's band). You get the idea.

Half-time Obstacle Course - At every half time, get everyone off of the couch and do a fun obstacle course. Set out a pattern of stuffed animals you have to hop around, then run to the bedroom and do 10 jumping jacks and roll over the bed, then race to the kitchen and juggle the kitchen towels. It can be anything super fun and super silly.

Are you watching March Madness basketball? Do your kids watch too?

©iStockphoto.com/ paranoiker

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM

i don't like watching sports but hubby will on occasion.  my kids like to play basketball but not fans of watching it.  hubby does want to take the kids downtown on saturday for some of the activities going on around the dome (we live outside atlanta where the final four is held this year), but it's not a certainty

EbonySnow
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM

no one here watches sports

mackiebugsmom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Those are cute ideas! We follow the games because Michigan is in it but we don't usually watch the games. We watch football though and I'm going to use those ideas then!! Thanks for sharing :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM

My dh watches and I catch a game here and there. Kids don't watch.

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

No, we don't watch a lot of basketball....but I like watching sometimes.

AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Nope, and DD doesn't watch either. 

MamaMandee
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM
I kept my eye on a few local teams but that is about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ethans_momma06
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM

We don't watch

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:11 PM

We don't watch basketball.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM
We aren't watching
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN