Group Home

cast iron pans

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM
  • 22 Replies
How do u season yours?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I usually spray it down with cooking spray after I've washed it.

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I don't use them. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I have never seasoned one

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Most pans these days come half seasoned. If it has a black surface, you probably just need to spray it down with vegetable oil and leave it in the oven for an hour or two at 350. If its metal colored, or worse yet, polished clean, then you have a lot more to do. The best thing to season cast iron is unsalted bacon. Just cook it, and then let the drippings burn in the pan for a while. Make sure your exhaust hood works, because it will get smokey. Just keep coating with oil or fat and heating until you have a black matte surface. After seasoning, i simply clean the crud of the surface with an old vegetable brush or a steel wool pad. No soap! It strips the protective coating, as do tomato based sauces and acidic mixtures.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Great info, thanks

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Most pans these days come half seasoned. If it has a black surface, you probably just need to spray it down with vegetable oil and leave it in the oven for an hour or two at 350. If its metal colored, or worse yet, polished clean, then you have a lot more to do. The best thing to season cast iron is unsalted bacon. Just cook it, and then let the drippings burn in the pan for a while. Make sure your exhaust hood works, because it will get smokey. Just keep coating with oil or fat and heating until you have a black matte surface. After seasoning, i simply clean the crud of the surface with an old vegetable brush or a steel wool pad. No soap! It strips the protective coating, as do tomato based sauces and acidic mixtures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I'm not sure, I let my dh do the seasoning of them lol. I'll ask him and post later!

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I had df post it. He's the one that uses the cast iron. I hate using it because he hasn't taught me proper maintenance for then

Quoting Apr1l:

Great info, thanks

Quoting Firenygirl180:

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM

i dont have one :( 

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM

excellent info.  can one do the bacon cooking on the grill stove outside so the house wont be smoky?

Quoting Firenygirl180:

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
According to df that is the preferred method.

Quoting yvonne37:

excellent info.  can one do the bacon cooking on the grill stove outside so the house wont be smoky?

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80