Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Negotiating

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:14 AM
  • 35 Replies
I tried cancelling my paper and I ended up on the phone for 15 minutes with the lady who kept trying to negotiate a price so that I would stay. I told her that I got a cheaper price from the bigger paper in our area and she kept lowering the price but could not match the price I got. She finally gave up. I normally let my husband do the negotiations, he got us free HBO for a year and an upgraded DVR when he called to say he wanted to cancel.

Do you like to negotiate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I dont really have anything to negotiate over lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:26 AM

I am great at it lol!

momkaribg
by Kari on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this
No I can't stand dealing with stuff like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Depends on what it is.

mom2jessnky
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:00 AM

It depends, sometimes yes.

Like when I'm buying a car, yes I love to negotiate.

If I'm trying to cancel Showtime, that I don't watch and don't know how it got added to my account, NO. I don't CARE if you can make it only a $1 for 6 months, I don't care if it has "critically acclaimed original series that many people enjoy" NO. Stop being creepy and just cancel it.

When it comes to things like that (and with you canceling the paper) it's like the person on the other end thinks that they know me better than I know myself. No, you don't. I had this problem a lot when I had a landline (many years ago) the company would call me ALL THE TIME "we can offer you great rates on long distance!" No thanks, but no it wouldn't end there, they'd go through these never going to happen scenarios in which a catastrophe has occurred and I need to make a long distance call (why, I don't know), but OH NO!! My cell phone is dead, there's no power to charge it, my car has been crushed by a tree (so I can't use a car charger) what EVER shall I do!?! Why would I be calling long distance in an emergency? What is my mom, who is clear across the country, going to do? Stuff like that, SUPER annoying.  I finally called THEM up and explained that while they think I'm an idiot, I'm not, and should the day come that I need long distance on my land line they will be the first people I call. They got the hint after that. 

Long winded- if I start it, I'm fine with negotiating, otherwise cancel the Showtime (newspaper, whatever), not interested.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM

i HATE to negotiate, i have dh do all that!

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
No. I'm pretty horrible at it.
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Lol. This is darn funny and so true.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

It depends, sometimes yes.

Like when I'm buying a car, yes I love to negotiate.

If I'm trying to cancel Showtime, that I don't watch and don't know how it got added to my account, NO. I don't CARE if you can make it only a $1 for 6 months, I don't care if it has "critically acclaimed original series that many people enjoy" NO. Stop being creepy and just cancel it.

When it comes to things like that (and with you canceling the paper) it's like the person on the other end thinks that they know me better than I know myself. No, you don't. I had this problem a lot when I had a landline (many years ago) the company would call me ALL THE TIME "we can offer you great rates on long distance!" No thanks, but no it wouldn't end there, they'd go through these never going to happen scenarios in which a catastrophe has occurred and I need to make a long distance call (why, I don't know), but OH NO!! My cell phone is dead, there's no power to charge it, my car has been crushed by a tree (so I can't use a car charger) what EVER shall I do!?! Why would I be calling long distance in an emergency? What is my mom, who is clear across the country, going to do? Stuff like that, SUPER annoying.  I finally called THEM up and explained that while they think I'm an idiot, I'm not, and should the day come that I need long distance on my land line they will be the first people I call. They got the hint after that. 

Long winded- if I start it, I'm fine with negotiating, otherwise cancel the Showtime (newspaper, whatever), not interested.

HisSweetheart07
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I love to bater over flea market stuff but not with big companies

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

yes!  specially when I have the upper hand.   lol.. cable is one of my fav.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN