Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I tried cancelling my paper and I ended up on the phone for 15 minutes with the lady who kept trying to negotiate a price so that I would stay. I told her that I got a cheaper price from the bigger paper in our area and she kept lowering the price but could not match the price I got. She finally gave up. I normally let my husband do the negotiations, he got us free HBO for a year and an upgraded DVR when he called to say he wanted to cancel.

Do you like to negotiate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Replies (31-35):
scorpiobabes
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I can't say that I do (I prefer to call it haggling), but last month, I was sent a shutoff notice for our electric, a notice of garnishment (for a judgement), and our cell phone was really overdue. So here's how I handled it:

1. Had a really good cry. Cleared my mind.
2. Called electric company-first call didn't go that well, but I spent an hour on the phone the next day. I was still paying the high amount, but set up my online account, learned where most of my money was going, and got signed up for budget billing. I also changed suppliers.
3. Filed my taxes (had to wait til 3/15 anyway) and used refund to pay part of electric.
4. Called phone company and changed our plan. Dropped $60 a month!
5. Called satellite company and made changes. Dropped $70+ a month!
6. Redid budget once I had all new figures. We'll be able to pay garnishment $50 a month, and still have $100 to rebuild our BEF.
7. Called creditor about garnishment while boyfriend called bank to ask questions. Spent nearly $20 on copying and sending two certified letters (one to creditor and one to bankruptcy attorney). Wrote letter and told them that because I'm not working but planning to go back to school to be retrained, I could only pay $50 a month. Waiting for an answer.
8. We will still have between $50 and $100 to send to attorney each month.

And a friend of ours told Jim at work last week that her husbands company is hiring locally (Amazon)-and it's. perfect! Going to meet with them Monday for dinner-and to learn about the job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I don't like to, but dh does.

Threes.Company
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Those newpaper people are ALWAYS like that!! :)

MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I love negotiating. If nothing else it makes you feel like you are getting a good deal even if its standard practice for the company lol.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I do it sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN