Group Home

opinions please

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 16 Replies
I am having a hard time deciding between both schools so I would like your opinions. He is accepted to both schools and it is for kindergarten. Both are charter schools.

The first school- is in a school building with 3 playgrounds. The kindred are on one side the rest of the students 2-6 on the other. School day is 8-3. No uniform good standard curriculum. They also are big on teaching cultures and Spanish is being taught to all students. Standard discipline for a public school with prevention for bullying.

School #2 emphasizes is curriculum very little is know about its discipline actions except for dress code and that is pretty strict. They do have uniforms and even the kinders are expected to abide. the school is in a strip mall unknown # of playgrounds or where they are located. K-2 at one site 3-8 at another. During school hours the doors are locked and you must ring the doorbell to get in but there is no other security. The mailperson and ups/fedex have a key to let themselves in.

I know which way hunny is leaning and I know which way my best friend would go. She is a teacher and I asked for her opinion on the curriculums. But I am unsure.

Ask any questions you have. Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Why wouldnt the kinders be expected to follow any rules set by the school?   I would go with whichever my gut said.  Do a tour of both.

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I did a tour at school #1. Had a time set for a tour at school #2 when I should up the secretary had ended up short handed and could no longer give me a tour.

I do believe it is a little extreme to give a kinder detention because his shirt comes untucked or his shoe comes untied.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Why wouldnt the kinders be expected to follow any rules set by the school?   I would go with whichever my gut said.  Do a tour of both.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM

It sounds like #2 is not yet organized. I would take the teacher's advice and then make a final decision, but from what you've said, you like #1 best, but you're afraid of making a final decision.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM

for me personally i'd be more comfortable with #1.  we have a few charter/private schools around here that are in strip malls (ones was a grocery store, the other a home depot)  there are other businesses around the school & for me that kinda set up just wouldn't be what i wanted for my kids.

anotherandree
by Inga on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Most charter schools with uniforms are "strict" in the fact that they expect the children to abide by the rules, but I seriously doubt that they would give a kindergartner detention if their shoe comes untied or their shirt comes untucked.  If you believe that, then it sounds like you are done researching and have made your decision.

My children attend a charter school with uniforms, my youngest is in kindergarten, and if his shoe comes untied, his teacher helps him tie it.

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I would definitely pick the school that feel will give your son the best learning experience.  Personally, I wouldn't do #2 , I would feel uncomfortable with it being in a strip mall.  I've worked at the elementary level and its nice when the school has lots of programs for the kids because it makes it more fun.  Learning another language is great for their brain and learning about cultures is great for teaching understanding and accepting others. 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I think #2 sounds like a better school. It seems a little more relaxed too.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM
School #1 would my choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by Sue on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I vote for the first school.

VickyJoJo
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM

School #1 gets my vote.  It sounds like it has a better environment and is more condusive to learning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.