Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Not Quite "Tween" TV

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies

Most days, my eight-year-old is too busy to watch much TV...a few minutes in the morning before school and maybe one show after school once her homework is done. We don't allow screen time after dinner (and before you crown me Sanctimommy Extraordinaire, we usually eat pretty late and we go to bed early so we're talking 30 minutes, tops, before baths/showers and bed.) 

My struggle is finding stuff that's OK for her to watch. She's outgrown younger-kid shows that her five-year-old brother can watch, but I don't like the shows that are aimed at kids her age because they show sassy behavior and openly disobeying parents as something that's funny and cool. Believe me, I have enough problems with sass without TV shows making her think it's cute. I also really want to limit the screen violence they see, so a lot of "superhero" type shows are out.

We've realy enjoyed some of the PBS shows for older kids, like Word Girl, Wild Kratts, and Fetch with Ruff Ruffman (she literally cried when it was canceled). Both kids like My Little Pony. She's also interested in science and cooking, so Nova Science Now and cooking shows are fun for all of us to watch. And we don't have cable, so we're pretty limited to what's on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon. So, Smarter Moms:

What shows do you and your almost-tweens watch?

Image via PBSKids.org

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

DD is 7 so she hasnt hit tween yet which i consider 9/10 yrs old.  Hub can have shows for this age group but usually targeted for a younger set.  DD likes Littlest Pet shop, Strawberry Shortcake, My little Ponies which all have subtle messages in them on how to be a better person.    Would sid the science kid be too young for her on pbs or sprout?  Disney, nickelodeon etc all have shows on their websites as well so you arent stuck on those 3 media sites.

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Tom and  Jerry.

maxswolfsuit
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:14 AM

My kids already watch those PBS shows and they have a few years to go before they are tween. 

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:37 AM

We have a few years before tween shows...at least for my daughter. My son will be 10 in September. We like pbs, sprout, and disney channel. We just have basic cable. :)

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM

We enjoy the animal and history stuff.  We were all spell bound over an episode featuring wombats.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
My 9yo loves the kratts it's funny because back when his older sister was his age and even younger, we loved zaboomafoo which stared the kratt brothers.

I get upset this time of year when Disney and nick over load their channels with 20 episodes of good luck Charlie just because the school kids are on break. I become very limited when the littles and I want to sit down and watch a show appropriate for them. I know my kids aren't home from break and watching tv all day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I have two pretweens who I let watch Wild Kratts as well. Also they like Electric Company. They hardly ever watch tv though...mostly I will let them watch a movie. Mine are a little older than yours though...10 and 12. Spiderman, Batman, Harry Potter are movies they enjoy.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

like me, my 9yr old still likes cartoons.  she watches my little pony, littlest pet shop, phineas & ferb, scooby doo, looney toons, animaniacs.  she'll also watch wild kratts, house of anubis, good luck charlie, the electric company (though it hasn't been on in awhile).  she watches some "adult" shows with me like psych, haven, dr. who, pretty little liars, warehouse 13, eureka.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I do not have a tween yet.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM
My son is 11 and loves to watch old shows on Netflix dougie browser,dinosaurs etc but will watch Disney too and he loves loves merlin
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)